Does ESET scan the files of Thunderbird?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi.

We use ESET Protect on-premise and ESET Endpoint on the clients. We use Thunderbird as our email client.

Every few weeks - several times a week for some people - we have the problem that the files of some Thunderbird clients become corrupted. The result is unreadable emails. Repairing helps in these cases.

Our boss suspects that ESET is constantly scanning the files in real time and that with a lot of new incoming emails, Thunderbird gets confused at some point and corrupts the files. Is that possible?

I have moved the profile folder of the most affected colleague to another partition in a directory without a username and excluded it in ESET Protect. But the error still occurs with him, and strangely only with his own mailbox, not with the many others that he has also included.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help? Is it possible that Thunderbird gets problems when hundreds of malicious emails arrive one after the other if ESET intervenes every time?

Regards,
Thomas

• Administrators
  • Solution

ESET scans email messages during the download through POP3(S) or IMAP(S). Real-time protection does not scan mailbox files on a disk. They are not scanned by the on-demand scanner by default either as scanning mailbox files requires "email files" to be enabled in the appropriate on-demand scan profile setup.

Posted (edited)

As we found out, the following is scanned by ESET:

C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Temp\*.eml
C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Temp\nsma
C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Temp\newmsg

Is that intentional?

Regards,
Thomas

Edited by Thomas F.

15 hours ago, Thomas F. said:

I have moved the profile folder of the most affected colleague to another partition in a directory without a username and excluded it in ESET Protect. But the error still occurs with him, and strangely only with his own mailbox, not with the many others that he has also included.

This looks to me like the thunderbird profile is corrupted. You've excluded the problem being ESET. It's not a Thunderbird issue as it doesn't affect other accounts on the same computer. When you moved the profile somewhere else the error continued happening. 

I would back up the profile to somewhere safe. Then delete that profile from thunderbird and build it from scratch again and see if that resolves the issue. Depending on your settings for retention on the email server this will pull down your old emails again. So it should be relatively quick to go back to an old email to check if the issue still remains.  

I have removed and set up his account twice, the last time after moving the profile. My IT colleague told me that the policies somehow weren't used on that PC. He changed something, and now we wait if the problem still occurs.

I wonder why these files were being checked, although the profile is on another partition:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\*.eml
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\nsma
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\newmsg

This does not happen on my PC.

Regards,
Thomas