Please could somone explain "Tasks"

Hi all

Please could someone explain the concept of "Tasks" in version 6. Specifically, client tasks.

Let's say I have a task called "Software Installation" to install ESET client v6. if I run that task, it installs software on the client, and that's great. But what I don't understand is the way the clients are listed against that task. What happens if I remove a client from the task, will the task be reversed for that client?

What seems to be missing for me are two things:

1) A way to apply a task ad-hoc to a client. e.g. apply an "uninsatll" followed by an "install"

2) A way to see which tasks have been triggered but not yet run.

Many thanks

Jim

• Former ESET Employees

Hello Jim, I apologize for the delay on a response, but to answer your first question, removing the clients from the task does not trigger any action to be carried out on the client, it is simply modifying the clients that the task will target the next time the task is run.

As for the other two, there is some limited capabilities in creating tasks with certain triggers.  If you were to create a dynamic group with a specific value, let's say the template  Installed software . Application name contains Endpoint, then all machines that do not have an Endpoint product currently installed would get filtered to that group.  From there, when you create a task, you can set the trigger to run the Endpoint install task on the group when a new machine is added to that group.

The only way to see what tasks have been triggered/run is to go to Admin>Server/Client tasks then select the task through the tree, right click on it, then go to the details tab.  It will tell you when it has been triggered, when it started running the task, and the outcome of the task execution.