ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error on Ubuntu 22.04 with the Latest Kernel

Go to solution Solved by Guest Denise,

Guest dgibson

The linux kernel was updated to 6.5.0-14 and then 6.5.0-15 and now the program is showing a Security Alert --> Real-time file system protection is non-functional on my Ubuntu Server 22.04. 

The file eset_rtp.ko is not present in the /lib/modules/*kernel version*/eset/eea directory.   This file exists in the directory when the kernel version is less than 6.5.   All my previous kernel versions up to 6.2.0-39-generic have eset_rtp.ko. 

Logs on the server also show the following errors:  Error compiling on-access kernel modules, Cannot open eset_rtp.ko: no such file or directory, Initialization of system handler for on-access scan has failed.  

Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Denise

• Administrators

This is not a sort of a quick question that this Quick questions forum is intended for.

Answering this question may require raising a support ticket so we kindly ask you to do so.

Guest Denise

Sure, no problem I'll work with support.   I was hoping someone else had same issue and a could provide their resolution.   

• Solution
Guest Denise

Technical support asked me to upgrade ESET Endpoint Antivirus to the latest version (10.2.2.0).  I tried and had some other issues but this is how I resolved them in case anyone else comes across the same problem.

These were the problems I encountered after the upgrade:

• You receive a "failed" error for the ESET service (for example, "eea.service")  
  • Systemd log displays "Failed to start ESET Endpoint Antivirus"
  • System logs generates the error "check_start.sh: /bin/sh: 1: gcc-12: not found" during modules compilation

The resolution is to install gcc-12 and the details can be found at this link --> [KB8571] ESET service fails to start when installing ESET Server Security or ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux on Ubuntu 22.04 or Mint 21

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Denise