User is disabled - FullDiskEncryption

Heterz
Go to solution Solved by Kstainton,

Hi there,
My mission is to set up an encryption tool in my company, so I'm doing a lot of testing. (We already use the administration console for the Endpoint Security part)
I blocked a computer by doing too much password error / Recovery password.
When I write the password or recovery password I get a pop-up telling me that the user is disabled.
I couldn't find any documentation about this.
I can't find anything that would work on the web admin console.

• ESET Staff

Hi @Heterz,

Unfortunately if you have locked out the FDE User and the Recovery User, the only options for recovery are:

EFDE: https://help.eset.com/efde/en-US/recovery_data.html

EEE: https://support.eset.com/en/kb7160-decrypt-a-managed-system-that-is-unable-to-start-windows

Sorry I assume you are using EFDE, but providing both articles just in case.

Thank you,

Kieran

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
If I understood correctly, it is absolutely necessary to have the pc with us and to have a USB key to unlock the pc?.

Is there a possibility to unlock the pc remotely? We have several agencies, if a user locks his computer it may be difficult to unlock it.

Thank you.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution
1 minute ago, Heterz said:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
If I understood correctly, it is absolutely necessary to have the pc with us and to have a USB key to unlock the pc?.

Is there a possibility to unlock the pc remotely? We have several agencies, if a user locks his computer it may be difficult to unlock it.

Thank you.

Hi @Heterz,

Yes I am afraid this cannot be done remotely, you can however provide the necessary 'efderecovery.dat' file and password associated with it to the user to do it themselves?

But decryption if completely locked out as you explained has to be done locally on the machine.

Thank you.