NOD32 version 8 breaks Emsisoft Emergency Kit

GreyGhost
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

• Administrators
  • Solution

It's actually a bug in EEK which causes the issue. We'll make a workaround for it in the Internet protection module so that the bug doesn't manifest with ESET installed.

@GreyGhost

It would be good to post a link to this topic in the emsisoft forum, so that they and future visitors of the forum will know that ESET is working on this.

It's actually a bug in EEK which causes the issue. We'll make a workaround for it in the Internet protection module so that the bug doesn't manifest with ESET installed.

According to Emsisoft it's Not a bug in EEK at all.

hxxp://support.emsisoft.com/topic/15749-cannot-update-eek/?p=118910

IMO one shouldn't say that it is a bug unless it really is a bug. 

It sounds more like incompatibility issue due to the way EEK is updating, wich must be different in some way, as I have never had issue updating any program due to ESET's protocol filtering.

2 different views...

2 opinions...

;)

So I think ESET or Emsisoft should explain this...

Edited by rugk

This user has disable protocol filtering totally based on his screenshot. Not good.

hxxp://support.emsisoft.com/topic/15749-cannot-update-eek/?p=118856

He should really enable it again, and instead expand the protocol filtering section in the setup-tree and add EEK under "excluded applications" as a workaround. If that doesn't work then he should let us know on this forum. He's active in this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3350-unable-to-use-my-isp-speedtest-site-since-v8/

• Administrators

It's indeed a bug in EEK and we can prove it :) I'll look into this as soon as I return to the office within the next couple of days.

Yeah I hope you can, because I just said on Wilders in a discussion that it would look pretty bad if Marcos was lying about a bug in the other program(eek) if there is no bug. I said I saw no reason why Marcos would say that there is a bug in eek unless he was certain and really had looked into the issue.  :)

This user has disable protocol filtering totally based on his screenshot. Not good.

hxxp://support.emsisoft.com/topic/15749-cannot-update-eek/?p=118856

He should really enable it again, and instead expand the protocol filtering section in the setup-tree and add EEK under "excluded applications" as a workaround. If that doesn't work then he should let us know on this forum. He's active in this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3350-unable-to-use-my-isp-speedtest-site-since-v8/

Yes, you're right!

Here is a screenshot where he can do this:

post-3952-0-03387900-1412441622_thumb.png

Have you PMed him?

Edited by rugk

@Marcos

OK, but I think Emsisoft would like to hear how you can prove it...

Yeah but it'll have to wait till next week when Marcos comes back home to Europe.  :)

@Marcos

Yeah but it'll have to wait till next week when Marcos comes back home to Europe.  :)

Of course... I'm sure they only accept personal communication. ;)

@Marcos

Hopefully not, as the public now knows about the bug that according to vendor 1. exists. vendor 2. does not exists.

So it would be disappointing if the public never got the whole story.

And I can't see why it would need to become personal and secret communication when it's just about two softwares. Nothing serious ;)

Edited by SweX

@Marcos

Hopefully not, as the public now knows about the bug that according to vendor 1. exists. vendor 2. does not exists.

So it would be disappointing if the public never got the whole story.

And I can't see why it would need to become personal and secret communication when it's just about two softwares. Nothing serious ;)

Yes I only said this as a joke.

• Administrators

EEK improperly handles HEAD responses. We've made a workaround to a v8 module so that these responses are not filtered by ESET and thus the bug will not manifest.