Pups Are Persistent

SweX

I wrote about bundles in the past, having investigated complaints from a forum user that we had installed undesirable software, along his copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  

Our stance on PUPs, or Potentially Unwanted Programs hasn’t changed, in fact many businesses are now aligning themselves with us in our stance on this type of software and the practices of their creators.

I was personally involved in explaining what behaviors earn programs the PUP classification. You can read about our selection criteria here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/pup/

hxxp://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2014/07/pups-are-persistent/

Yeah its great.

Personally I was unaware of that Oracle now bundles the ASK Toolbar with Java judging by one of the screenshots. It is quite disgusting seeing a company of Oracle's size getting involved with that, they are no small player that needs extra money.

Actually they have been bundling Ask for 10 years + lol

Sometimes they bundle McAfee too.

:o  That's weird, during the time I used Java I never saw any bundles in the official installer when I downloaded it from Sun.

I would absolutely have remember if I had seen any 3'rd party offer. And I did never see anything like that through all the years when I had Java installed and the countless times I updated it.

Maybe it depends on Geo location?  :unsure:

Edited by SweX