How To Disable Spam Rule Download Task

Hi,

is there a way to disable a unused system task?

In Eset Mail Security I disabled the spam protection module (client and server) because we don't need it. After that I have received and will again and again an email "there is an update error on spam rules" (a bad (?) translation from 'Beim Aktualisieren der Spam-Schutz-Regeln ist ein Fehler aufgetreten') every 30 minutes. I can delete the system task and everything is fine. But only till the next reboot. The task is reinstalled again.

Not a big issue. I could create an Outlook rule. But maybe there is a way in ESET?

Thanks

Bernd

Edited by BerndH

Hi BerndH,

I was able to replicate your issue. I have contacted the developers about the issue.

For now, please use Remote Administrator to ensure the tasks are removed and the Antispam engine is disabled. For directions on this process, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the ESET Remote Administrator Console (ERAC) by clicking Start -> All Programs -> ESET -> ESET Remote Administrator Console -> ESET Remote Administrator Console.
2. Click Tools -> Policy Manager.
3. Select the policy that you wish to modify and click Edit policy.
4. Expand Windows server v4.5 -> Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server -> General Settings -> Tools -> Scheduler, select Scheduler/Planner and click Edit.
5. Click Default, select the task you wish to remove (Regular automatic antispam rules update), and click OK. Click Default again, select the tasks you wish to remove (Regular automatic antispam engine upgrade), and click OK

NOTE

If you do not see these tasks in the Add default task window, please upgrade Remote Administrator to the latest version. For directions on this process, please use the following link: How do I upgrade ESET Remote Administrator to the latest version?

6. Select the task and click Mark for deletion. When prompted, click Yes to confirm. Select the other task and click Mark for deletion. When prompted, click Yes to confirm.
7. Make sure that you see "Delete" in the Status column and click OK.
8. Expand Windows server v4.5 -> Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server -> Server protection -> General mail server protection settings -> Antispam protection and select Enable mail server antispam protection. Deselect the Value check box on the right-hand side of the window.
9. Click Console, click Yes to save your changes and then click OK to exit Policy Manager. The next time the Mail Security client assigned to this policy checks in, the default tasks that you marked for deletion will be removed.

I will update this thread when I hear from the developers.

Thank you,

ChadH

Edited by Chadh

• 2 weeks later...

Hello BerndH,

Our developers have confirmed when ESET Mail Security checks the scheduled items during system boot, it does not check if the Antispam engine is enabled or disabled. If those scheduled items are removed, it will recreate them, even if the Antispam engine is disabled. They suggested changing the task to run once as workaround. For directions on this process, please see the steps below:

1. Open the ESET Remote Administrator Console (ERAC) by clicking Start -> All Programs -> ESET -> ESET Remote Administrator Console -> ESET Remote Administrator Console.

2. Click Tools -> Policy Manager.

3. Select the policy that you wish to modify and click Edit policy.

4. Expand Windows server v4.5 -> Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server -> General Settings -> Tools -> Scheduler, select Scheduler/Planner and click Edit.

Note: If you already added the tasks and marked them for deletion, per the steps in my previous post, please highlight the tasks one at a time and click Remove to delete them. When prompted, click Yes to confirm the deletion. After removing the tasks, please continue with the rest of the steps below.

5. Click Default, select the task you wish to change (Regular automatic antispam rules update), and click OK. Click Default again, select the other tasks you wish to change (Regular automatic antispam engine upgrade), and click OK.

6. Ensure the checkbox next to the newly-added tasks are selected.

7. Select Regular automatic antispam rules update and click Edit.

8. Click Next and change the selection of Run the task from Repeatedly to Once.

9. Click Next and change the Date of task execution to a very distant date (e.g. 1/1/2038).

10. Click Next, click Next again, and then click Finish.

11. Select Regular automatic antispam engine upgrade and click Edit.

12. Follow Steps 8 through 10 for this task.

13. Click Console, click Yes to save your changes and then click OK to exit Policy Manager. The next time the Mail Security client assigned to this policy checks in to Remote Administrator, the configuration will be changed.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

ChadH

Great work & great professional response from Chad.

I have spoken with Chad over the phone a few times, and his professionalism is as equal in person.

Thanks for your help & support on behalf of the original poster.