Enable Operating System Advanced Logging Constantly Disabled After Manually Being Activated

Guest Habitsman

Hello. I enabled the Advanced Operating System logging feature in Eset but after checking once again, it was disabled. This continues to happen every couple of minutes after enabling. Could this be a virus or some type of malware? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Most Valued Members

you mean this option?
advanced logging shouldn't be constantly enabled cause it will generate huge amounts of logs. you should only enabled them when troubleshooting specific errors and only when the support team has specifically told you to enable them.

unless you have a specific problem keep them disabled. what problem do you have with the program?
Capture.PNG.3258fbff1a6725f7dd44e44767a83b5c.PNG

Edited by shocked
  • Administrators

Is logging disabled if you enable it, click OK to save the settings and close the advanced setup and reopen advanced setup after a few seconds?

As shocked wrote, advanced OS logging should not be permanently enabled. We recommend enabling it for troibleshooting performance issues and disabling it after 1-2 minutes at maximum. Even during this short period the log can reach 1-2 GB.

Guest Habitsman
5 hours ago, shocked said:

you mean this option?
advanced logging shouldn't be constantly enabled cause it will generate huge amounts of logs. you should only enabled them when troubleshooting specific errors and only when the support team has specifically told you to enable them.

unless you have a specific problem keep them disabled. what problem do you have with the program?
Capture.PNG.3258fbff1a6725f7dd44e44767a83b5c.PNG

Yes. I have enabled every other option and they stay permanently enabled. Only the OS option is disabled automatically after a few minutes. Is this normal behavior? Thanks for the help and replies.

Guest Habitsman
5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Is logging disabled if you enable it, click OK to save the settings and close the advanced setup and reopen advanced setup after a few seconds?

As shocked wrote, advanced OS logging should not be permanently enabled. We recommend enabling it for troibleshooting performance issues and disabling it after 1-2 minutes at maximum. Even during this short period the log can reach 1-2 GB.

It doesn't disable immediately. I have checked for this instance. It seems to turn itself off after 2-5 minutes. I'm not sure if this is normal. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Most Valued Members

i enabled it for a minute and then i successfully disabled it. it stayed active as it supposed to do. if it deactivates itself after 5 minutes then it might be programmed to do so. Marcos can verify that.

also your settings might be corrupted and a complete reinstall might be required.
i'd suggest to remove the program through safe mode with the uninstaller and install it again.

run the uninstaller a couple of times until it reports that "no supported programs found"

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

also check this folder on your pc to see if any logs are really generated, just to be sure that it works at least.
C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics

also tell us if there is any issue with the product and why do you need all the logging options enabled. in my case running it for about a minute, it made a 500MB log file. running all of them and keep them all day can fill up the HDD space quickly.

• Administrators

I left logging enabled for 4 minutes and it'd didn't disable automatically. Maybe it depends on the amount of free RAM since it's where the data is stored during logging.

Anyways, it's usually enough to keep advanced OS logging enabled for 1-2 minutes. The log is intended only for internal diagnostic purposes and we usually don't ask users to keep logging enabled for a longer time.
The question is what performance issue you are trying to troubleshoot and if a customer care representative has asked you to keep logging enabled for more than 1-2 minutes.

Guest Habitsman
5 hours ago, shocked said:

i enabled it for a minute and then i successfully disabled it. it stayed active as it supposed to do. if it deactivates itself after 5 minutes then it might be programmed to do so. Marcos can verify that.

also your settings might be corrupted and a complete reinstall might be required.
i'd suggest to remove the program through safe mode with the uninstaller and install it again.

run the uninstaller a couple of times until it reports that "no supported programs found"

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

also check this folder on your pc to see if any logs are really generated, just to be sure that it works at least.
C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics

also tell us if there is any issue with the product and why do you need all the logging options enabled. in my case running it for about a minute, it made a 500MB log file. running all of them and keep them all day can fill up the HDD space quickly.

I just checked that folder and when I double click it, the folder doesn't open. It does nothing, doesn't give any warning. This also happens when trying to access the PerfLogs folder. Could this be an infection?

I decided to turn logging on to see if I could get a log for suspicious processes and activity.

• Most Valued Members

if a complete scan comes clean then i doubt there's an infection. folders not opening could mean a problem with the OS itself or the permissions on your user account.