Unprotected WiFi notification

I'm just wondering if this is a bug or  whats happening here. I have WPA2 very strong password for my network and today for the firs time I got this pop up. 8693_KB7554_notif.png.a8630932aa987f53a1b34fadb7cca4c9.png

This is pop up from ESET's scenarios web page, but mine was the same.

Edited by URBAN0

• Most Valued Members

It's warning you that you have connected into a HOTSPOT/ACCESS POINT that has no password

If you set up a password , that message will disappear as it's more secure to have a password on the AP as it would prevent unwanted people from connecting and try to do bad things.

Wifi hotspot are considered "secure" if access to them requires user to input a password that conforms to WPA and WPA2 stands for security codes. Networks are insecure due to the strong password verification procedures and the absence of encrypted data connections, which are a thread to the unscapped user.

• Most Valued Members
44 minutes ago, Patricia J Jones said:

Wifi hotspot are considered "secure" if access to them requires user to input a password that conforms to WPA and WPA2 stands for security codes. Networks are insecure due to the strong password verification procedures and the absence of encrypted data connections, which are a thread to the unscapped user.

WPA is no longer a secure option as it can be cracked / bypassed , it's recommended to use WPA2 and WPA3 with AES encryption mode

Thanks guys

As I mentioned I am connected to WPA2 with very strong password so I'm not sure what this was. The only thing comes to mind is was when I enabled hyper-v and VT-d for Direct I/O, maybe that  causes it, but that's my guess. Although I always have hyper-v enable with the difference of VT-d direct I/O which I just enabled for the first time, but I'm still wondering.

When you get this Unprotected Wi-Fi alert from Eset again, try to determine which Wi-Fi network connection it is flagging.

My gut is telling me, this is not your WPA2 Wi-Fi connection set up on the router that you normally connect to.

• Most Valued Members
20 hours ago, URBAN0 said:

Thanks guys

As I mentioned I am connected to WPA2 with very strong password so I'm not sure what this was. The only thing comes to mind is was when I enabled hyper-v and VT-d for Direct I/O, maybe that  causes it, but that's my guess. Although I always have hyper-v enable with the difference of VT-d direct I/O which I just enabled for the first time, but I'm still wondering.

I presume you are using your phones Internet connection on your computer?

16 hours ago, itman said:

When you get this Unprotected Wi-Fi alert from Eset again, try to determine which Wi-Fi network connection it is flagging.

My gut is telling me, this is not your WPA2 Wi-Fi connection set up on the router that you normally connect to.

Never came back again and this have never happen as long as I own ESET IS.  As a habit I always hoover my mouse over Wi-Fi tray icon to know where I'm connected and it was contention to my WPA2 personal Wi-Fi as it normally would.

This happened as soon as I enabled direct I/O vt-d for Hyper-V

Thank you

2 hours ago, peteyt said:

I presume you are using your phones Internet connection on your computer?

No, the other way around If I understand you correctly.

Thank you

Edited by URBAN0

• Most Valued Members
8 hours ago, URBAN0 said:

No, the other way around If I understand you correctly.

Thank you

How do you connect to the Internet? That screenshot seems to suggest you have created a hotspot on your phone and the pc is then connecting to that hotspot rather than a router.

I would check the router for all existing Wi-Fi connections. A while back a rogue one was set up on my router. Still don't know how that one happened.

Eset's Connected Home monitor should show all router connections.

Edited by itman

5 hours ago, peteyt said:

How do you connect to the Internet? That screenshot seems to suggest you have created a hotspot on your phone and the pc is then connecting to that hotspot rather than a router.

I didn't make it clear, but "This is pop up from ESET's scenarios web page, but mine was the same.” by the time I realize that it might have confuse someone It was too late for me to delete

It wasn't mine, mine is actually the below image.

4 hours ago, itman said:

I would check the router for all existing Wi-Fi connections. A while back a rogue one was set up on my router. Still don't know how that one happened.

Eset's Connected Home monitor should show all router connections.

Very good suggestion and that was the first thing I did, all clear, that's why this was puzzling to me, never had any thing like it since I have ESET. I still cant find anything, coast its clear, so I'm still wondering.

Thank you