Smart Scan taking hours to run

Hi Folks,

My problem is that Smart Scan which used to run for 22-28 minutes on my late 2017 iMac 5k now seems never to finish. Yesterday it ran for over 9 hours. Today 6 hours 39 minutes and only seems to be about 10% the way through scanning.  What's going on?!
It has been freshly installed with the newer 6.10.460.1 version for the new mac OS known as Big Sod, sorry I mean Big Sur but has not been happy since the update to BS.

Any ideas?
Cheers!

• Administrators

Please try scanning folder by folder to narrow it down. Maybe there's a file on the disk which causes the scanner to get stuck when being scanned. Anyways, I'd recommend opening a ticket with your local support and providing logs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 along with your findings.

• 1 month later...

I have similar issues and created a ticket (140953). 

As per my investigation, there could be an issue regarding the protected System Volume of macOS. Apple installs the system files on a separate volume and grants only read-only rights (also for reason of malware protection), whereas data is stored in a separate partition. When you go into the Apple Disk Utility, one is labeled with "Macintosh HD", the other "Macintosh HD Data" and you see the difference. In Finder however, this isn't visible as both are named with "Macintosh HD". Apple connects both partitions with symbolic links. 

Now, in Eset scan targets, both volumes are similarly named as "Macintosh HD", while the path is different( "/" vs. "/System/Volumes/Data"). If you select "local storage" as scan target for the profile SmartScan (and maybe also by default), both identically named "Macintosh HD" are pre-selected. Further, in the ThreatSense scan options "symbolic links" are activated as a scan objective by default. I guess this generates back and forth and scans parts of the files twice. As per my tests with scanning / not scanning the protected system volume and activating / not activating the symbolic links I came to the conclusion, that only deactivating the scan of the protected volume and symbolic links gives the required speed boost (half the time), while other combinations remain steady slow. Maybe others and Eset can also check this. 

Kaspersky for example does not show this protected volume as a scan target, but provides an option like "include scanning the protected volume" instead. This is a much more comfortable solution. 

In my point, Eset should ensure an appropriate handling of the protected volume / symbolic links and maybe adjust the default configuration and naming, so that it is clear for basic users. The protected volume should not be scanned with SmartScan at all, isn't it?

Edited by bEeReE

• 1 month later...

I'm also experiencing this issue and particularly interested in the response from bEeReE.  Perhaps I am the "basic user" you refer to.  My scheduled in-depth scan shows checked entries for 2 occurrences of Macintosh HD, Preboot, VM, and Update.  One occurrence of Macintosh HD contains folders for sw, net, boot, icon?, Network, and mnt while the other does not.  I have updated the scheduled task to include only 1 occurrence of Macintosh HD -- the one without the folders listed previously.  Perhaps that will return the efficiency of this process.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm the issue of multiple Macintosh HD instances (3 in my case) showing in "Select Scan Targets".

Running v6.10.600.0