Rule for CDPUserSvc

How do you block the CDPUserSvc when it changes the suffix (CDPUserSvc_4618b <- this part) every time the computer restarts?

Can we create wildcard firewall rules?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, InanZen said:

How do you block the CDPUserSvc when it changes the suffix (CDPUserSvc_4618b <- this part) every time the computer restarts?

Can we create wildcard firewall rules?

I don't have this process on Windows 10 so I can't check it out. However, if the path to the executable changes, you can only create a new firewall rule which is not helpful if it changes after each restart. Wildcards are not supported in firewall rules. Last but not least, next time please create a new topic and do not hijack someone else's one that is about a completely different subject.

I believe if you block CDPUserSvc outbound traffic, it will also by default block CDPUserSvc_xxxxx traffic since it is never generated.

Also, blocking Win system app outbound traffic really isn't a great idea.

Unfortunately I only have a CDPUserSvc_with random suffix which changes every restart, so creating a firewall rule for it (either Allowing or Denying) seems impossible.

Do you know why the wildcard rules aren't allowed? Would they consume too many CPU cycles to parse?

Thanks, but I've already tried disabling the service, but unfortunately the system always just makes a new service and deletes the old one.

1 hour ago, InanZen said:

Thanks, but I've already tried disabling the service, but unfortunately the system always just makes a new service and deletes the old one.

Read this article as to the impact of blocking CDPSvc service or its inbound/outbound traffic: https://teckangaroo.com/what-is-connected-devices-platform-service/ .

If this is acceptable to you and you are willing to live with the system impacts of blocking all connected devices platform traffic, then also disable the CDPSvc service. This should totally shutdown all connected devices platform activity. Note that I don't recommend doing this. Don't do this. It will probably bust your network connection.

As it stands presently, there is no way to block outbound network traffic from this service since it is dynamically being renamed at system startup.

Edited by itman