ESS silently blocks active directory sync in interactive mode

I had been having problems getting the active directory sync to work properly. It kept failing as the current user didn't have sufficient privilages to sync other users redirection directory. Occured with ESS v6 and v7 in interactive mode. Restarting the computers and trying to redo the sync did not produce any firewall pop ups. Ongoing issue for last 12 months

The solution was to add the following rules for Windows Explorer

General tab: Out, Allow, TCP.  Remote tab:  Port 80

General tab: Out, Allow, TCP.  Remote tab: Address: Server (or trusted zone). Ports: 135, 389

General tab: Out, Allow, TCP.  Remote tab: Address: Server (or trusted zone). Ports:49152-65535 Local tab: Ports 49152-65535

Note while this set appears to work, I have not tried to make it any tighter.

The reason I have posted it is

1) It is easy to fix if you realise this is the problem

2) It may represent a wider issue where ESS blocks connections without alerting the user. No sure what is special about this case however.

BTW

Occures with client computers running windows 7 professional fully updated and clean install of ESS in interactive mode.

Server was Windows server 2012E running ESET server AV

Edited by Patch

Hello,

For ESET staff.

I would be interested to know if Endpoint security has the same issue.

The home version may not be setup the same as the business portion which would be meant for AD and a workstation on a domain.

• Administrators

Please continue as follows:

1, enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup

2, clear the firewall log

3, reproduce the problem

4, stop logging

5, post your firewall log here (if too large, export it to a text file and attach the file to your post).