Error occurred while applying deferential update to base file

I have been having a lot of problems with updating for a long time.  It'd have a failed update and I'd have to go to the update section, clicked search for updates, and then it would update. This is second error message I received this morning.  I don't remember what the first one said.  

I went with ESET originally because Consumer Reports rated them #1.  After a couple of years, I'm having too many issues for a #1 product. 

• Administrators

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector. This error was reported to us by users only once and it turned out to be caused by a hard disk failure.

Marcos, I'm running it now.  Do I post it here or email it to tech support?  Also, after posting I tried to update again and this time it worked.

Edited by GreatDaneMom

• Administrators

Your system event log is full of error messages like:

"Entry" = "svchost (14972,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log." 01/12/2019 20:53:59 ;

Also there are several errors like
"Entry" = "The Update Orchestrator Service service hung on starting." 19/11/2019 22:59:20 ;
"Entry" = "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the CarboniteService service." 19/11/2019 22:49:27 ;
"Entry" = "The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control." 19/11/2019 21:18:43 ;
"Entry" = "The ESET Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)." 19/11/2019 21:13:35 ;

Does running "chkdsk c:" detect any errors on the disk?

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, GreatDaneMom said:

I tried to run chkdsk and it came up that either I didn't permission or the disk is locked.  Acronis shows no critical issues.

Are you running chkdsk as an administrator ?

• Most Valued Members

When you type "cmd" into your start menu (windows 7) or search in windows 10 , use right click and select run as administrator.

Then run chkdsk :)

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, GreatDaneMom said:

Imagine that...it worked.   No errors found.

At least it's not a hardware issue then :) . Im just a user on the forums myself and dont have access to your logs but if you are running any other security software in the background that is checking data that is read or written to the disk then maybe temporarily pausing/disabling it and manually running the update within the eset gui and see if that works. Maybe your Acronis software has something running in the background too that could cause the issue and it might be worth temporarily pausing this too while manually running a eset update.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Your system event log is full of error messages like:

"Entry" = "svchost (14972,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log." 01/12/2019 20:53:59 ;

This is a Win 10 bug. More info here: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/129271-new-windows-10-insider-preview-fast-slow-build-18362-19h1-mar-22-a-18.html#post1600793