PGP Disk and NOD32

Zardoc

Hi all,

Just updated Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.4.2.MP3 (PGP Disk) on three machines. After each install I get Issues with NOD32 Antivirus. If I uninstall and reinstall NOD 32, issues go away. I'm not sure if the problem is related to PGP PGPWLD pwflt.dll.

One machine out of three updated without the problem of module updates not working.

I cleared the update cache to no avail.

Marcos, got any ideas why this is happening with this update of PGP and did not with other updates ? SEE Images

Thanks.

Eset 001 2019-08-11_19-00-42.png

Eset 002 2019-08-11_19-00-42.png

Eset 003 2019-08-11_19-00-42.png

Edited by Zardoc
Because i'm not perfect :)

• Administrators

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector. Just for a test, try disabling protected service and rebooting the machine and see if it makes a difference.

18 hours ago, Marcos said:

try disabling protected service and rebooting the machine and see if it makes a difference.

Nope.

• Administrators

I see that PGPlsp.dll is registered as LSP in Winsock. Also you have Windows 10 installed where ekrn runs as a protected service by default.

We have recently found out that under unknown circumstances (probably after some Windows update), ESET gets removed from Winsock. Subsequently the system attempts to load a 3rd party dll into ekrn which obviously fails, causing Winsock initialization to fail as well.

What you can do is reinstall ESET so that it gets re-registered in Winsock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 12:32 AM, Marcos said:

I see that PGPlsp.dll is registered as LSP in Winsock. Also you have Windows 10 installed where ekrn runs as a protected service by default.

We have recently found out that under unknown circumstances (probably after some Windows update), ESET gets removed from Winsock. Subsequently the system attempts to load a 3rd party dll into ekrn which obviously fails, causing Winsock initialization to fail as well.

What you can do is reinstall ESET so that it gets re-registered in Winsock.

Good call.

That's what I did initially.

Thanks.

• Administrators

After installing ESET, please make sure that ekrn is registered under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\AppId_Catalog (should be in one of the subkeys). If I remember correctly, it was missing on your machine which is why erkn was unable to establish network communication.