Duplicate emails in Outlook

Samoréen

Hi,

Since I have installed ESET NOD32, I'm regularly getting duplicate emails in Outlook 2010. I'm using an IMAP account. Not all emails are duplicated though but I couldn't find any pattern.

Any similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

Does disabling scanning of sent email make a difference?

Hi again,

The problem just appeared again. I may have some additional information, though...

I'm using multiple email addresses and all emails are redirected to a single IMAP account that I'm opening in Outlook 2010. Any incoming email ( Inbox [iMAP Account] ) is submitted to a set of Outlook rules dispatching each email in a particular Outlook folder according to the topic and/or to the sender/destination address. If no rule applies, then the email is moved to the Inbox [Outlook] folder. This is the last rule that is (normally) being applied.

It seems that in the latter case, the email is not moved but copied one or multiple times. It is left in the Inbox [iMAP account] folder anyway but can be also duplicated in at least one of the target folders used by the rules mentioned above even if the corresponding rule doesn't apply.

This never happened before I installed ESET a few days ago.

After further testing, it seems that the installation of ESET NOD32 has changed the order in which rules are applied. Everything happens as if the last rule defined in Outlook's rule execution order was actually not the last rule executed. I have modified this rule in order to make sure that it stops any further rule processing and this seems to have solved the problem. A test email sent to a given account and written in such a way that no rule except the Move to Inbox [Outlook] rule can apply no longer triggers the problem although it systematically did before.

Let's see if this is enough to definitively cure this issue... Not sure because if my guess is correct, rules are no longer executed in the specified order and some rule may not be executed although they should.

Regards.

• Administrators

I assume that disabling scanning of sent email didn't help then. Please try disabling integration with MS Outook and IMAP scanning, one at a time, to narrow it down.

I assume that disabling scanning of sent email didn't help then.

No, as (unclearly) mentioned above.

Please try disabling integration with MS Outook and IMAP scanning, one at a time, to narrow it down.

OK. This will take more time but I'll let you know. The fix mentioned above didn't work : the post notification received from the forum has been duplicated.

Please try disabling integration with MS Outook and IMAP scanning, one at a time, to narrow it down.

OK. The "Integrate into Microsoft Outlook" option is clearly the culprit.

What is the risk if I keep it disabled ?

• Administrators

Integration (plug-in) is required for the spam filter to work. Also it allows you to scan incoming and outgoing email regardless of the protocol used and also to re-scan received messages. One more thing you could try - disable scanning of read emails.

Integration (plug-in) is required for the spam filter to work. Also it allows you to scan incoming and outgoing email regardless of the protocol used and also to re-scan received messages. One more thing you could try - disable scanning of read emails.

OK. Not a big deal since I already have spam filtering implemented on my IMAP server. Any chance to have this problem fixed ?

• Administrators

Since the cause is not yet known and we were unable to reproduce the issue, it won't be possible to do anything about it without troubleshooting it further with your assistance. If possible, let me know if disabling scanning of read email makes a difference.

• 8 months later...
I have the same problem. Here the details of the environment:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Outlook 2013 using a mail account from outlook.com via Active Sync

Create a sub folder (e.g. "Projects") below "Gesendete Elemente" (German for "Sent Items")

Move an E-Mail from "Gesendete Elemente" to "Projects"

-> ESET Outlook plugin will duplicate all recipients and all attachments

Problem could be reproduced for:

- Smart Security 7.0.302.26

- Smart Security 8.0.304.4

• 9 months later...

Problem still there.

As soon as Outlook integration is enabled, I'm getting duplicate emails. It seems that this is related to Outlook rules. When I get an email that satisfies a rule (which generally moves the email to a specific folder), I get 2 copies of it : one in the Inbox and one in the folder specified by the rule.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Now there's a new bug about this feature. Yesterday, I tried to re-enable Outlook Integration and I could see that the duplicate emails bug was still there. So this morning, I decided to disable this option. ESET NOD32 immediately told me that " Email protection by client plugins [was] non-functional". I looked in the setup and could see that Email Protection had actually been disabled although the "Enable email protection by client plugins" was enabled. Totally inconsistent.

I re-enabled Email Protection but the alert about "Email protection by client plugins is non-functional" will not go away.

Edited by Samoréen

I re-enabled Email Protection but the alert about "Email protection by client plugins is non-functional" will not go away.

Even after a reboot. The warning will disappear if I enable Integrate into Windows Live Mail... which is not installed on my system.

Hi,

Now there's a new bug about this feature. Yesterday, I tried to re-enable Outlook Integration and I could see that the duplicate emails bug was still there. So this morning, I decided to disable this option. ESET NOD32 immediately told me that " Email protection by client plugins [was] non-functional". I looked in the setup and could see that Email Protection had actually been disabled although the "Enable email protection by client plugins" was enabled. Totally inconsistent.

The warning will disappear if I enable Integrate into Windows Live Mail... which is not installed on my system.

Up

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that duplicate emails are mostly generated when the email is submitted to a rule moving it from the Inbox to another folder. A duplicate copy remains in the Inbox after the email has been moved to the target folder. Explained another way in a previous message.

Edited by Samoréen

• Administrators

Since this is not a known issue and several iterations and diagnostics logs will be needed, it must be tracked properly as a support ticket. Please contact your local distributor and provide them with logs from ESET Log Collector. They should provide you with instructions for enabling diagnostic logging in the email plugins and then relay them to ESET's developers.

Since this is not a known issue and several iterations and diagnostics logs will be needed, it must be tracked properly as a support ticket. Please contact your local distributor and provide them with logs from ESET Log Collector. They should provide you with instructions for enabling diagnostic logging in the email plugins and then relay them to ESET's developers.

Marcos,

Logs have been sent to the support since a long time. The files are waiting here hxxp://dl.free.fr/k1G33skJu since 2 months or here if that link no longer works https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55479279/eav_logs.zip The french support told me that this was a known problem and that the developers were aware of it. Reports about this issue started almost 3 years ago. Time to really do something.

Also, you don't need logs to reproduce this related problem : if I disable the Outlook integration to get rid of the duplicate emails, I immediately get a bunch of security warnings which I can only disable by activating Windows Live Mail integration (which doesn't make since since I don't have Windows Live Mail on my system). This problem started with version 386 I think.

• Administrators

Then the problem is most likely with writing to scanned emails. Unfortunately, there's not really much that could be done about it in the near future as information about scans must be written.