Some notifications

I don't care if ESET is trying to access my webcam. How do I turn that notification off

• Administrators

ESET doesn't access your webcam but asks you for an action if another application attempts to access it. You can disable webcam protection in the main gui.

• 1 month later...

I think what the OP wanted to ask: how to suppress repeated notifications? Like about the same program accessing your webcam, or when the same URL is always blocked when starting a certain application etc. I too seen the same popups coming each and every time. While most users have no intention to suppress relevant Eset protections, it would reduce annoying aspect of popups by offering a checkbox on them "Don't show again".

• For example,  Skype users can read one time "Skype access to webcam was allowed" after they allowed it, but many would prefer to not read it every time when launching Skype. In fact, Eset in Firewall Interactive Mode doesn't show popups "Access to a website was allowed based on previously saved rule". Same "no annoyances" notification logic should persist throughout other Eset modules, except when repeat notification is required or preferred by user. As the product gets more diverse and complex, it does require more coherent notifications control.
Edited by zamar27

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, zamar27 said:

I think what the OP wanted to ask: how to suppress repeated notifications?

By creating a rule which is selected by default:

image.png

I think there's misunderstanding here. Once the rule is created, Eset remembers it fine. But it still shows a popup each time Skype is launched, informing access to webcam was allowed. What I suggest is adding a checkbox on such kind of popups "Don't show again". 😊 However, its not really that annoying, when popup time is set to 5 sec if important from marketing prospective.

Eset1.jpg

Edited by zamar27

• Administrators

Normally you shouldn't have too many webcam protection rules created so unchecking the Notify box shouldn't be a big problem:

image.png

• Marcos locked and unlocked this topic

Thanks for pointing to that option. But I think, the issue is a bit more generic. Look at screenshot below, this popup comes each time the app is autostarted at Windows boot. How would I get rid of this one? Another issue is, the user would be expected to master in-depth knowledge on Eset functions and UI to get to the bottom of it. As a bonus, its a good thing to learn more about PC protection modes, but can an average Joe do that? Or instead he would press the Forum Panic button - the big red one?  :wub:

Eset2.jpg

• Administrators

Blocking the url has absolutely nothing to do with webcam protection. Please provide ELC logs. It looks like an ad domain with a randomly generated name is being blocked. Post it in the "Malware finding and cleaning" forum please.

I will post it with logs, but the address is always exactly the same, it looks like the started app tries to load some script from the website, may be update check or such? Of course its not related to Webcam protection, I just posted it as an example of annoying popups coming up every time, and no way to stop them. 😊 What Eset module is engaged here?

Edited by zamar27

• Administrators
1 minute ago, zamar27 said:

Of course its not related to Webcam protection, I just posted it as an example of annoying popups coming up every time, and no way to stop them. 😊

The solution is to get rid of the source of the block notifications, e.g. to clean malware, remove an annoying browser extension or whatever is causing it.

The problem is, I don't want to get rid of this app, as it conveniently and reliably blocks Cam and/or Mic access at driver level as I choose. It looks we are back here to Application Control issue. What Eset module causes this particular popup? Can I add blocking this URL as a new Rule to suppress the popup?

Edited by zamar27

• Administrators

Please create a new topic in the Malware finding and cleaning forum and provide logs collected with ELC. This topic is about webcam protection.