Error Message Protocol filtering problem

paulgt

I have started regularly getting an error message:

"Protocol filtering problem

Some of the applications capable of importing the root certificate are still running.

Please close all browsers and email clients and try to import the root certificate again.

Import the root?   Retry   Cancel"

If I click Retry nothing happens and Cancel makes the message go away.  I am using the latest version of Firefox and Windows 7 with all updates installed.  I do not know what a root certificate is and haven't found anything searching the Eset pages.

Please help. Thanks.

• Administrators

Try the following:

- disable SSL/TLS filtering in the advanced setup

- reboot the system

- without launching any application after the reboot, re-enable SSL/TLS filtering and click OK.

Post a screen shot of the actual Eset alert please.

The first thing that needs to be determined is what application is trying to import a root CA certificate. From the message posted, it appears something is trying to update Eset's root CA certificate in the Windows root CA certificate store.

Per Eset online help:

Error "Some of the applications capable of importing the root certificate are still running“

When you enable SSL protocol filtering, ESET Smart Security Premium makes sure that installed applications trust the way it filters SSL protocol by importing a certificate to their certificate store. For some applications this is not possible while they are running. This includes Firefox and Opera. Make sure none of them are running (the best way to do this is to open Task Manager and make sure there is no firefox.exe or opera.exe under Processes tab), then hit retry.

https://help.eset.com/essp/12/en-US/solving_problems_protocol_filtering.html

If you have FireFox configured for some reason to automatically start at boot time, disable that capability. It appears Eset keeps trying to update FireFox's root CA certificate store and can't do so. Do you have FireFox constantly running? If so, shut it down so Eset can update it.

Edited by itman

No, Firefox is not running automatically.  Sorry for the dumb question, but is SSL filtering something that I need?  I have left all ESET settings at their defaults.

Thanks.

By any chance, you are signed on to a standard user account? Note the following:

LoL, I solved the problem. On my Admin account, I do not have a Master Password for Mozilla Firefox, but on my Local User account I had a Master Password for Mozilla Firefox.

I disabled the Master Password for Mozilla Firefox on my Local User account, than did restart the PC. Now ESET Internet Security could write the permissions for the certificate into the Mozilla Firefox browser for my Local User account.

You have to guess that problem first. 

Ok, solved. Maybe this help in the future other users.

See the following forum thread for reference: https://forum.eset.com/topic/16028-attempting-to-add-the-root-certificate-to-all-known-browsers-on-your-computer-failed/

Edited by itman

• Administrators

It doesn't make sense for the message to appear while browsing websites. I'd expect it to pop up when re-enabling SSL/TLS filtering. Anyways, I'd like to get and check a Procmon log from time when the message popped up.

Yesterday it popped up while I was using a different browser.  How do I get you a Procmon log - I'm not familiar with this term. 

1 hour ago, paulgt said:

Yesterday it popped up while I was using a different browser.  How do I get you a Procmon log - I'm not familiar with this term.  

Refer to the FAQ section of the Eset forum home web page. It's located on the right hand side of the page below the Topics section titled "How do I create a Process Monitor file."

Edited by itman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Please close all browsers and email clients and try to import the root certificate again.

Import the root?   Retry   Cancel"

If I click Retry nothing  Vidmate iTunes Notepad++  happens and Cancel makes the message go away.  I am using the latest version of Firefox and Windows 7 with all updates installed.  I do not know what a root certificate is and haven't found anything searching the Eset pages.

Please help. Thanks

Edited by ARINITY

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ARINITY said:

If I click Retry nothing happens and Cancel makes the message go away.  I am using the latest version of Firefox and Windows 7 with all updates installed.  I do not know what a root certificate is and haven't found anything searching the Eset pages.

Please try the following:
- reboot the computer
- without launching any application, disable SSL/TLS filtering and click OK
- re-enable SSL/TLS filtering and click OK
- launch a browser..

Did you get an error while re-enabling the filtering?