ESET file security prevents WSUS from updating its database

Thomas F.

When ESET told me that our WSUS server has updates available but the server itself didn't know of any I checked the last syncs and they all failed with:
WebException: Die zugrunde liegende Verbindung wurde geschlossen: Für den geschützten SSL/TLS-Kanal konnte keine Vertrauensstellung hergestellt werden.. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: Das Remotezertifikat ist laut Validierungsverfahren ungültig.

After a bit of researching I found that ESET file security "hacks" into the HTTPS connection to the windows server, making the certificate invalid. Why does a tool that is called "file security" and especially is used for servers do this?! 

This surely cannot be unknown by ESET and I would expect a clear warning during installation that this will happen, especially if the WSUS service is already installed and running.

Here is a quick fix in case other people have this problem:

ApplicationFrameHost_ZQVclK9EjY.png.ffc097ab9f95cfa4aed95fa51031b30f.png

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Thomas F.,

that is strange as the certificate used by Windows update is excluded not to cause issues with updates.

Do you have the "Exclude communication with trusted domains" in default i.e. enabled?

Would it be possible to get the "Protocol filtering advanced" log capturing packets during the failed during the unsuccessful sync and ESET log collector output to me to check it?

You can upload them to a safe location and send me download details via private with a reference to this topic. message to check

Regards, Peter