Visual Studio Debugging Firewall rule

Hi I am using Internet security 12.0.31.0 and have just started "playing" with visual studio. After a bit of frustration with developing a couple of projects that accessed the internet I realised the problem wasn't with my code, rather ESET was blocking access to the file I had created. Initially I solved this by turning off the firewall, then soon after I wrote a rule to allow the firewall to let the code run.

Rather than develop ma rule for every project, is there a rule that can be written to allow any visual studio code being debugged to have access to the web, i.e. apply the rule to VS rather tham each individual project?

Thanks.

• Administrators

It depends on what kind of communication the application perform. E.g. if they download a file from the Internet, that should work in default automatic mode which allows all outgoing traffic and block all inbound traffic from outside trusted zone.

You can try switching the firewall to learning mode for a while and then review the generated rules and adjust them to make them independent of the source application.

Thanks Marcos, the application is reading UDP Data broadcast over WiFi on the house LAN. I was surprised that it was blocked as nothing was going to the outside world. I used the interactive mode to "write" the first rule then just used that as a basis for others. That's doable, but every time I write a new programme then I have to write a corresponding rule. I was hoping that there would be someway of writing a rule that would encompass all programmes writen by visual studio while running them in the debug mode.

Thanks

• Administrators

In order to find out what rule blocked the communication, please carry on as follows:
- in the main gui -> tools -> details for customer care, enable advanced logging
- reproduce the issue
- disable advanced logging
- gather logs with ESET Log Collector and post the generated archive here (only ESET staff will have permissions to access it)

Microsoft has an article on firewall ports and connections used by Visual Studio: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/install-and-use-visual-studio-behind-a-firewall-or-proxy-server?view=vs-2017 .

One easy solution might be to just switch the Eset firewall to its default allow all outbound connections when performing your debugging activities.

Hi Marcos, again thanks for the reply. I won't be able to do the log dump for a few months now as we are heading south for the winter!

When I was playing around with the issue and using the interactive mode the programme that was identified was the compiled version of the programme I was debugging in Visual Studio.

That is, if I was writing a programme in VS called TEST then when debugging it would be TEST.EXE that was identified by the interactive mode, there was no reference to VS. It's not the end of the world having to make an entry for each programme, I am just lazy!!!

Thanks