ESET 7 and win7 wake from sleep

Trial version of Smart Security 7 on a win7 64 bit machine.
I've been trying to setup scheduled scans for my drives overnight, but no success. I use the custom scan feature and select the drives, but there's no indication in the scan log that they occurred. A google search for the topic indicates that Eset7 will not perform a scan if the computer is in sleep or any power saving mode.  Can someone confirm if this is the case?  My computer is set to sleep overnite, and I wanted to perform a full scan at 3AM. I'm not going to spend $60 for a product lacking this feature.  Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

As far as I know, the product is not able to scan your PC while at sleep but someone else may confirm if that really is the case i'm not 100% positive.

But then I dont know of any other AV that is able to start as scan automatically while the computer is in sleep mode either.

Though it is not necessary to scan the whole harddrive every night/day, I haven't scanned my PC since I installed ESET because I know that it's clean. A scan once a week is IMO more than enough.

We have the startup scan that is a very quick scan that runs at each startup and after each VSD update, plus AMS (Advanced Memory Scanner) wich monitors the activity in the Memory/RAM all the time.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

SweX is correct in that ESS/EAV does not wake your computer from sleep in order to do a scheduled scan. The best you can do to keep from missing a scan is to edit your scheduled scan via the scheduler and check the option to run the scan as soon as possible if missed. What this will do is when a scan is missed, it will run following the next reboot of your system. I know this is not ideal but it is the only option at the moment for managing missed scans if you want them to run...

Another example that could work, is that when you're done for the day working/using the PC, you start a scan and tick the option in the scan window to shutdown the computer when the scan is done, that way you can start the scan "walk away" and the PC will shutdown automatically when the scan is finished without user input.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Definitely no ideal way, The big drawback in the automatic method in post 3 is it runs the missed scan after a reboot, which many do not want (including myself). SweX's manual method in post 4 is good. I find myself just doing a manual scan after the scheduled one is missed if I think it is necessary...

Hello Greybeard,

There is no need to choose another AV. We can help if you like ESET and need assistance customizing.

All the previous posts are good and correct. I would also like to inform you of the scheduling that Windows provides via ...

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler

You can wake your computer from Sleep using Windows, and then initiate the scan for ESET at that time.

There is no need for ESET to incorporate a Wake from sleep script when Microsoft already has the feature built into Windows.

If you create a new task, not a basic task, you can select the Conditions tab and check the box labeled 'Wake the computer to run this task'.

I have provided screen shots.

This task you create can be to launch ESET, or to launch any application or task you want. It does not even have to be ESET as long as the computer is awakened, and is online at the time ESET's scans are scheduled. :)

There are a lot of options in there, so take your time choosing your options, and dont get overwhelmed.

Report back here if you need assistance.

post-1101-0-02863800-1390693700_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

• 3 months later...