Eset Internet Security SPAM filtering Poor Performance

I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same poor performance with the Anti-Spam module? I'm using Outlook 2013 and the SPAM filtering is extremely poor. As far as I can tell, I've got the settings for filtering set to the highest they can be, yet Eset might catch 1 out of every 30 junk emails and flag it as Spam. I constantly use the Eset plug-in in Outlook to manually flag the SPAM emails such. I would have thought that this would have at least offered some sort of "training" to the filter, but it's fruitless. The same email SPAM comes in every few days and is constantly ignored and allowed to pass.

I've attached an example of a piece of SPAM, which I would think should be blatantly obvious to the filter that it is, yet it's never flagged as such.

What's going on here?

Spam Email.JPG

Spam Settings.JPG

• Most Valued Members

I find it quite the opposite , i use outlook 2016 and between the antispam that hotmail uses , along with the antispam that Eset uses i am lucky if i get 1 spam message per week. This is without using any custom lists or filters and just by default.

Might be more active spam in the part of the world you live in ?? Just a thought

spam.jpg

Edited by cyberhash
add jpg

I live in the US, and I really don't get a ton of SPAM, maybe 4 to 6 a day between the 5 email accounts I have set up in Outlook. Eset manages to catch and filter about 1 email a week on average, some weeks it catches none of them. The 5 different email addresses consist of 3 from my ISP (Charter.net), 1 Hotmail, and 1 Gmail.

Just as a side note, I've added a few extra ports (465, 585, 587, and 993) under the Email Client Protection Protocol setup section so that EIS should be able to scan emails from any of my clients. I know this helps with scanning for infected attachments, but I'm not sure if it has any affect on SPAM filtering or not.

Edited by FeMaster

• Administrators

I'd suggest the following:
- in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, enable advanced antispam logging
- wait until you receive at least 2-3 undetected spam emails
- disable logging
- save each of the undetected spam emails in the eml or msg format
- gather logs with ELC
- post here: the archive generated by ELC + the eml/msg files

On 11/1/2018 at 3:13 PM, Marcos said:

I'd suggest the following:
- in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, enable advanced antispam logging
- wait until you receive at least 2-3 undetected spam emails
- disable logging
- save each of the undetected spam emails in the eml or msg format
- gather logs with ESET Log Collector
- post here: the archive generated by ESET Log Collector + the eml/msg files

OK, I've completed the requested steps. One thing I did notice was that initially when I reclassified the email as SPAM, it did not add the "[SPAM]" to the beginning of the subject line like the software was set to do. The logs may reflect that the same emails were reclassified more than once as I drug them back out of the spam folder and into the inbox again, and the did the reclassification again, and this time it did add the proper prefix to the subject line.

eis_logs.zip

SPAM Email.zip

Edited by FeMaster

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Still no response. 😟

My license expires the end of January, maybe I'll get some help just before it expires?

...Or, maybe I won't need help by that time... 🤔

• Administrators

I've checked the msg files that you've attached and all were detected as spam. If you re-scan the messages in Outlook, are they detected now?

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 2:24 AM, Marcos said:

I've checked the msg files that you've attached and all were detected as spam. If you re-scan the messages in Outlook, are they detected now?

image.png

image.png

I have to assume that they are showing as detected as spam because I had manually flagged them as such. In any case, all of those message are long gone by now. I'll see what I can do with any future messages.

Edited by FeMaster