To continue this post here https://forum.eset.com/topic/12117-ess-advance-settings/ 

I am also confused about the numbers next to advanced settings. 

Even when reverting to all default, there are numbers next to Antivirus > HIPS > Advanced Setup > Drivers always load... and Tools > Email Notifications > Message format. 

Furthermore, enabling or disabling detection of Potentially Unwanted Applications does nothing, while Potentially Unsafe Applications adds or  subtracts a number. 

Then, if HIPS is under Antivirus and there are changes in HIPS and other subcategories, shouldn't ANTIVIRUS display a greater number than one? 

Also, under Web & Email > Email Client Protection > Disable checking about inbox content change, enabling this option adds a 4 while disabling it keeps a 3 (removes one). 

Finally, the blue mark left of each category (which is displayed when settings are modified under the category) causes confusion in terms of which is the currently selected (expanded) category, as it pops to the eye more than the bold letters. 

• Administrators

Some configuration settings are populated automatically after installation, e.g. the list of drivers, network subnet, etc. Potentially unwanted applications do not have a default state, hence it doesn't change the number of changed settings.

Then, if HIPS is under Antivirus and there are changes in HIPS and other subcategories, shouldn't ANTIVIRUS display a greater number than one? 

Please provide some screen shots for clarification. My EP is showing 2 changes and there are actually two changes in the cfg tree: rules and the list of drivers.

Also, under Web & Email > Email Client Protection > Disable checking about inbox content change, enabling this option adds a 4 while disabling it keeps a 3 (removes one). 

On my EP enabling the setting increases the number of changes to 10 which is correct since it is disabled by default.