Invalid folder? Can only install on default folder?

Hi,

Yesterday I formatted my computer to start from scratch and attempted to install ESET Internet Security back on and ran into a bug.  For some reason, when I attempted to all and try to select a custom installation folder for the Module and Data, it fails to do so as it said that the folder is invalid.  This is did not happen before the first time I installed this and not sure what the cause is as I installed this months ago doing the same thing with no issue.  For the time being, I use the defaults and it installs successfully.  I tried this with 10 and 11.

Basically, the way I am doing the install is this particular way since I have my SSD as C: and my regular hard drive as D:.

Product Folder: (Default)

Module Folder: "D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security"

Data Folder: "D:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security"

Could this be fixed?

@Peter Randziak

Edited by Sango

• Administrators

This would need to be reproduced on another system and then reported as a bug. However, I'm strongly in favor of removing the option to set a custom folder for modules and data in consumer products as it may cause issues if set incorrectly by users.

I will perform a clean install of Windows 10 (Latest 1709) again on my SSD once I receive my new 1TB WD Gold Hard Drive from NewEgg which will replace my existing 500GB WD Black to see if the issue happens again.

Could be a permission issue on WD Black drive as I did not reformat it except the SSD since I have existing data.

Edited by Sango

• Administrators

I overlooked that you attempted to put both modules and data to one folder. This is not possible.

You can use:

Module Folder: "D:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Modules"

Data Folder: "D:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Data"

I did not put them in the same folder as I just changed the drive letter just like in your reply.  I manage to confirm that this no longer works as I tested on another system and did another test using a VM.  I also tried to create the folders manually at the location to see if it did the trick but to no avail.

ESET.png

Edited by Sango

@Marcos

Do you know if there download offline installer archive available?  This way, I can try to find out which version it actually broke?

The Live installer executable which I did not delete was from the first time I installed this at the time has a modified date of 1/21/2017 and its product version is 10.0.12.0; assuming Internet Security version is tied with this.  Somewhere this and the current version, something has changed to prevent this from working.

Edited by Sango

Did you manage to reproduce it on your end?  This is what I was suspecting.

Hopefully the developers can patch this up in an update.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, with this error appearing for the prorgam install folder, modules folder and program data folder, when not selecting the default. 

I believe this problem also shows up when upgrading from an earlier version, with a custom data folder selected.  This is what I experienced - a few days ago after I accepted an upgrade from within the program Eset started throwing errors not being able to start up on boot anymore, system being unprotected, etc.

The result is that I had to uninstall Eset and now have to wait -unprotected- until a fix/patch is released (or, if this is not forthcoming, choose an alternative).  My default installation location does not have enough free disk space for the programme and the data/modules, so this is not an option for me

Especially when a database update comes in, Eset seems to require a lot of extra free space for the unpacking.  It would be a real life-saver if it could be configured in Eset where archives are unpacked before updating/installing (e.g. RAM-disk, temp folder, disk with sufficient free space).

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Richies said:

I have the same problem, with this error appearing for the prorgam install folder, modules folder and program data folder, when not selecting the default.

To my best knowledge, this will be fixed in the upcoming service release of v11. Currently we recommend using default folders.