EIS blocking browsers occasionally

I have noticed a weird problem with EIS that has happened about 3 times since I installed it. Sometimes after booting and loading Windows, I launch Firefox, but nothing happens.  It appears in the Task Manager but no firewall notification appears and it doesn't load.  I close the process in TM, try again and the same happens.  I even try to launch IE and same again...no notification and no gui of the browser.

If I disable the firewall module and launch FF or IE, it starts up without a problem and I can browse without a problem.

When this has happened, I have tried logging off and back on but that doesn't fix it.  The only way around it is to restart the computer and then things go back to normal.

I've checked the firewall log when it happens and there doesn't appear to be anything in there that relates to it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It's rather annoying, but thankfully doesn't seem to happen very often.

29 minutes ago, nickster_uk said:

If I disable the firewall module and launch FF or IE, it starts up without a problem and I can browse without a problem.

Are you running the Eset firewall in default mode; all outbound traffic allowed? If not and you are monitoring outbound traffic, make sure there are no existing rules that block port 80 and 443 outbound traffic.

If existing outbound blocking rules exist, you will not receive an alert or log entry unless same are enabled in the rules.

• Administrators

The firewall should not interfere with web browsing unless some custom block rules are applied. It's rather protocol filtering that affects HTTP(S) communication so you can try temporarily disabling it the next time the issue occurs to see if it makes a difference.