ESET & Dropbox Smartsync

DaveG

We've had ESET Endpoint running on user machines well for some time now. However, as a business we use Dropbox for sharing files. A new feature of Dropbox is smartsync, which our administrators are currently testing.

Dropbox completely locks up when creating smartsync files. I finally narrowed this down to ESET. With ESET enabled smartsync will take about 2 hours to synchronise/create 100 files using smartsync. With ESET disabled it takes approx 30 seconds during which Dropbox is fully responsive. I tested adding an exclusion in ESET on my machine. Dropbox immediately fully responsive with fast syncs.

Advanced Setup -> Computer -> Antivirus and Antispyware -> Exclusions by path. I added %userprofile%\Dropbox (Business)\*

However, excluding the folder where our teams work on the vast majority of their files seems a little silly. I'm wondering if there is a better, and less blanket, approach to fixing this issue. Perhaps it relates to the way the files are created or the types of files they are?

https://blogs.dropbox.com/business/2017/01/introducing-smart-sync-and-new-collaboration-tools/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Any update on this? We are seeing the same problem. With ESET scanning defaults, dropbox with SmartSync behaves very erratically and is extremely slow. If we pause protection in ESET, it immediately speeds up and completes quickly.

There must be a better way to write an exclusion than excluding the entire Dropbox repository location.

• Administrators

No. Both we and Dropbox must make changes in our apps. We're in touch with Dropbox developers regarding the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
20 hours ago, EmpireControl said:

Any updates as of yet, as more and more of us are using Dropbox?

So far we have no new info from Dropbox on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in again. Any news?

Is there anything we can do as users to chase Dropbox on this issue?

Do you have a case reference we can refer to?

Is there anything new on this issue. We have several hundred users with ESET and rolling out Dropbox for Business. If one has to be eliminated it won't be Dropbox at this point. We will have to go with another AV vendor. I haven't seen the same issues with anything but ESET. 

• Administrators

There's nothing new on this matter. However, as a workaround excluding the whole Dropbox folder (which includes .dropbox.cache) should work.

Hi All,

The issue, as far as I can see, has not been addressed by Dropbox (they don't supply change logs, so this is no surprise). However, the most recent release (v28.4.14) appears to have fixed the issue for me.

Can anyone else test and confirm?