Total mess after 9.0.402 installation

Samoréen

Hi,

Version 9.0.402 was installed automatically this morning and after that, Eset NOD32 was no longer working at all. All features disabled. I tried a rollback but Eset NOD32 freezed. So I uninstalled and rebooted. My PC would then no longer boot even in safe mode. I loaded the latest restore point and could then reboot. I installed version 9.0.386 again and Eset NOD32 told me that the product was not activated. I entered my license key again and it told me that the activation was successful. Nope. When returning to the home screen, I get this : see screen capture.

Everything broken. What should I do now ?

post-2933-0-77309600-1472748781_thumb.jpg

And now, I can no longer use any command : a password is requested each time. Sigh! I can't do anything in Eset.

Edited by Samoréen

• Administrators

Did you try to use the ESET Uninstall tool to remove it completely before installing v9 from scratch? Did you have an older v9 installed before upgrading to 9.0.402?

When exactly ESET upgraded to v9.0.402? The thing is it hasn't been available as a program upgrade since yesterday evening (CET) so your statement contradicts this fact.

What operating system do you use? Could you please put all *.dat files from the ESET install folder to an archive, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link?

As for not being able to boot to safe mode is really weird and most likely not connected to ESET. The only situation when this could happen is when you have Device Control integrated in the system and then remove its driver without properly fixing all dependencies in the registry. Did you have Device Control integration enabled?

Hi,

Version 9.0.402 was installed this morning french time(09/01/2016). Since it cannot be downloaded from anywhere, only ESET itself could install it.

I'm running Windows 10 build 10586. I'm not running a Windows 10 Insider Program Preview build. Yes, I had the Device Control integration enabled.

Anyway, since I'm doing an incremental backup of my system disk every day, I had a recent image handy and I did a full restore which included version 9.0.386. All is working right now.

I'm using ESET NOD32 since an eternity and this is the very first time that an update generates such a mess. I see that this update has been removed and now, version 9.0.386 is advertised as the latest which was not the case yesterday. So I consider that I am one of the victims of the untimely (and temporary) release of version 9.0.402. No luck.

Well, I installed version 9.0.402 one more time and again, eamonm.sys and ehdrv.sys could not be installed. So HIPS was disabled upon reboot.

I booted in safe mode and again, I installed both drivers manually, which fixed the problem.

I never had such issues when updating ESET. My configuration didn't change recently so I doubt that a permission problem is preventing these drivers to be installed properly. This bug is new to version 402.

• Administrators

Did you have any issues with 9.0.386? V9.0.402 was not released untimely nor temporarily. It has been temporarily withdrawn only until a new Live Installer is prepared and tested. V9.0.402 addresses certain issues from v9.0.386 and previous ones. I'm not aware of any such issues reported from other users around the world so it'd be great if you could try to revert to 9.0.386 and reproduce it when v9.0.402 becomes available in about a week again.

Did you have any issues with 9.0.386?

Absolutely no problem.

when v9.0.402 becomes available in about a week again.

I don't understand : version 9.0.402 is currently available from within ESET. It re-appeared this afternoon (french time). That's why I tried again thinking it was a new fixed release. But I had again the HIPS disabled problem. I fixed it following the procedure I described in the solution I just posted.