ESET saying "wrong user/pass" when trying to update

Hi, I UNinstalled Smart Security on my laptop and then Installed it on my PC (to use it there instead). But it's not working...

The licence is valid when I check with "verify licence validity", but when I try to update I get a user / password error.

I completely removed the installation from my laptop, so that can't be the problem. I even used this method after uninstallation: hxxp://kb.eset.nl/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289. So I'm sure it's completely gone.

Why is my user / pass not working? Please fix this! Or tell me how to...

I always have problems with ESET. In previous years I also had problems with purchasing, and now again I'm wasting hours of my time with something that should go smooth!

And oh p.s. I'm in the Netherlands now but purchased the licence in the Philippines, just saying in case that could be it.

P.S. I'm noticing I also get an error now sometimes. it happens when I press F5 to open ESET advanced options... It sais ESET MAIN GUI err and that is has to be shut down (Windows error).

• Administrators

The username and password provided belongs to a license for ESET CyberSecurity for Mac so it can only be used to update ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Windows. It won't work with ESET Smart Security.

Then how come I was able to update Smart Security on my laptop with it (has Windows installed) for several months without a problem?

It doesn't surprises me the least though, that I got a MAC licence instead of a Windows one, considering I always had problems with ESET's checkout process year after year after year....

I thought this finally this was the year that I didn't have to deal with that , but not it seems like it was an illusion that I lived in for a while.

Please send me a new licence that's for Windows, like what I ordered.

Oh and p.s. this is the drop in the bucket, I won'r be renewing my ESET licence after this. I am tired of these issues every year again. It's cost me way more in time then the purchase price itself.

It sounds like you have had this license mix up problem before. Have you contacted the store/website to let them know that you get a ECS license but you thought that you purchased a ESS license ?

Maybe if you give the link to the philippine website/reseller (?) to ESET so they can make sure that the right license is sent out for the right product when people try to make a purchase or renew their license.

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

The license was ordered for ESET CyberSecurity, not for ESET CyberSecurity Pro which is an equivalent to ESET Smart Security. Both EAV and ESS use same updates, however, if there's an update for an ESS component (antispam, firewall), you'll be prompted for a username and password as a NOD32 Antivirus license does not work to update Smart Security modules. It's not ESET's fault that you ordered a wrong license; however, you can contact the reseller or distributor and ask them to upgrade your license to ESS for some additional fee.

nevermind i just installed antivirus only, i don't like the firewall anyway and it's just dead weight to me as I disabled it always in favor of windows firewall which doesn't bother me all the time.

Yes maybe i bought the wrong product because buying something from eset is such a challenge, in previous years it took me hours to just find a way to be able to get apayment processed, then this years it's wrong product. Probably due to poor and unclear labeling, or maybe i got temporarily blind, who knows... 

however, if there's an update for an ESS component (antispam, firewall), you'll be prompted for a username and password as a NOD32 Antivirus license does not work to update Smart Security modules.

Ahh right. But I guess it may not be easy for the user to figure that out right away if the updates had been working fine up to that point. I hope the TS contacts the reseller to get this license issue sorted out.

nevermind i just installed antivirus only, i don't like the firewall anyway and it's just dead weight to me as I disabled it always in favor of windows firewall which doesn't bother me all the time.

Yes maybe i bought the wrong product because buying something from eset is such a challenge, in previous years it took me hours to just find a way to be able to get apayment processed, then this years it's wrong product. Probably due to poor and unclear labeling, or maybe i got temporarily blind, who knows... 

The firewall shouldn't bother you if you leave it in the default automatic mode.

Complaints on bad website design/layout, payment systems etc.. is something you should send to the reseller or distrubutor that is responsible for the website. They would probably appreciate getting some feedback from you if there is things that they can improve. It obviously shouldn't need to take hours to figure out how to buy a license, or buy the right product, that doesn't sound good.

Edited by SweX