Trying to add ESET to ExpressVPN split tunnelling. E-VPN could not help. Can you?

I have ESET and ExpressVPN on my laptop.  Every day, ESET sends me a warning that "The ESET LiveGrid servers cannot be reached.      (etc., etc.)    Allow access to ESET LiveGrid servers on Firewall."  

I do not think that I have a firewall.  However, I do know that ExpressVPN is blocking ESET from accessing my computer.  Tried "split-tunnelling" through E-VPN, but ESET was not listed in the drop-down menu, and I could not find an .exe file to be able to add the software to the split-tunnelling menu. 

Does anyone know how I can add ESET to E-VPN's split tunnelling, or some other method where I do NOT have to turn off E-VPN every day in order for ESET to update(?) the LiveGrid servers(?). 

Dell laptop XPS 13 9380;  Windows 11, version 23H2. 

Thank you, Anthea.

• Administrators

Does adding "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ekrn.exe" as well as egui.exe to the list make a difference?

Under ESET Security, I have no file with an .exe extension.  They are all .dll .  I do have an "application" for "ekrn" and for "egui", but there is no .exe file with them.  Should I add these application files to ExpressVPN (if I can)?   

Just received yet another message from "ESET proxy GUI" stating that "ESET LiveGrid servers cannot be reached", then a link for "Allow access to ESET LiveGrid servers on firewall".  When I click on that link, I am taken to this Web page:  https://support.eset.com/en/kb332-ports-and-addresses-required-to-use-your-eset-product-with-a-third-party-firewall#esetlivegrid .  None of the content on this Web page makes any sense to me.   It is at this point that I have to turn off ExpressVPN (which is exactly what I do not want to do)  to allow ESET access. 

Anthea_ESET_and_ExpressVPN_problem1_2024-09-09.thumb.png.90ee3bc4e3e7512366b80a98c4bc412c.pngAnthea_ESET_and_ExpressVPN_problem2_2024-09-09.thumb.png.ebaf6061ae3a22986df2570797ddce8a.pngAnthea_ESET_and_ExpressVPN_problem3_2024-09-09.thumb.png.6862ba863a0ffc3b74bcec7e697aa640.png

• Administrators

The exe extension is hidden by default in Windows Explorer. Simply select "ekrn" and "egui" and add them to the list.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/knowledge-hub/split-tunneling-desktop/

How to use VPN split tunneling on Windows

Note: You must be disconnected from the VPN to change your split-tunneling settings.

To access your split tunneling settings, click Menu icon.> Options.

Click "Options."

In Split tunneling, check the box for Manage connection on a per-app basis and click Settings.

Under "Split tunneling," click "Settings."

This option lets you set certain apps to not use the VPN when you are connected to ExpressVPN. To choose which apps will not use the VPN, select Do not allow selected apps to use the VPN, then click Add icon..

Select "Do not allow selected apps to use the VPN," then click the "plus sign."

Check the box next to each app you want to exclude from the VPN. If you cannot find a certain app, click Add Another App to add it to the list.

Click "Add Another App."

Click OK > OK to apply your changes.

When you are connected to ExpressVPN, all internet traffic except for the selected app(s) will use the VPN.

Thank you for your detailed reply.  It is gone midnight here, so I will make another attempt at the split-tunnelling tomorrow.  I knew how to burrow down to "Add another app", but *what* to add was the problem.  I will let you know whether this is successful.