Hello there,

I wonder if someone can please assist me. Once a week I make a complete scan. This morning was no exception. I ran a complete scan. 10 minutes in and my computer restarted itself. During the time I clicked on Task Manager and noticed the CPU was 100% as well as Disk, at times.

Now for example - I have multiple tabs open and it's pretty much running calm. It's only when a scan is running.

This is the first time something like this has happened. Eset has been scanning fine for the last 10 years plus.

• Administrators

Are you referring to a scan run manually or a scheduled one? The latter is run with low priority, ie. it utilizes only free CPU resources at a time.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Are you referring to a scan run manually or a scheduled one? The latter is run with low priority, ie. it utilizes only free CPU resources at a time.

Sorry, yes...a manual scan. It presses at 100% CPU useage.

• Administrators

That's normal. A scan run manually uses maximum available CPU resources and scans several files at a time in separate threads. You can schedule a scan which will be run with low priority and should have only little impact on performance.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

That's normal. A scan run manually uses maximum available CPU resources and scans several files at a time in separate threads. You can schedule a scan which will be run with low priority and should have only little impact on performance.

As long as it's normal and with your saying so, that's okay with me. Saying that though..the computer did happen to restart itself during the scan.

I appreciate your time.

• Administrators
Just now, Swizz said:

As long as it's normal and with your saying so, that's okay with me. Saying that though..the computer did happen to restart itself during the scan.

The scanner should not restart the computer automatically. You could provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector which might shed more information on the restart.

56 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The scanner should not restart the computer automatically. You could provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector which might shed more information on the restart.

As instructed the log file is attached above.

• Administrators

There are 7 records "The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (HOMEPC-PC) has initiated the power off of computer HOMEPC-PC on behalf of user HomePC-PC\Home PC for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)  Reason Code: 0x0  Shutdown Type: power off " so it's ESET unrelated.

Next there are 88 records "The drive cannot locate a specific area or track on the disk." and the same number of "The drive cannot find the sector requested." records which points to a disk problem.

There are 162 records from WER about crashes: Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BlueScreen Response: Not available Cab Id: 0  Problem signature: P1: 124 P2: 0 P3: ffffc0858888f028 P4: bf800000 P5: 124 P6: 10_0_19045 P7: 0_0 P8: 256_1 P9:  P10:   Attached files: \\?\C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080624-9234-01.dmp \\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-21046-0.sysdata.xml \\?\C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER636D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER639D.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63BB.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63DB.tmp.txt  These files may be available here: \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_124_c136dec484b16253f4e177a55b3e8ec353e73c5e_00000000_cab_2dc24102-501e-4b91-b816-42591480c19c  Analysis symbol:  Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: e7e16bf2-3cd8-49e0-830b-f318a573f250 Report Status: 2049 Hashed bucket:  Cab Guid: 0

I see that you have Malwarebytes with all its drivers installed. Please make sure to use MBAM only as a second opinion on-demand scanner without any driver installed (at least not with its real-time protection driver).

You have the ESET LiveGrid Reputation system turned off. As a result:
- trusted / whitelisted files are unnecessarily scanned resulting in longer scans and higher impact on performance
- false positives are likely to occur
- new threats are detected with a bigger delay

Please try running a scan with LG Reputation system turned on. Future scans should be faster. Also I'd recommend to consider enabling the ESET LiveGrid Feedback system for improved protection.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

There are 7 records "The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (HOMEPC-PC) has initiated the power off of computer HOMEPC-PC on behalf of user HomePC-PC\Home PC for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)  Reason Code: 0x0  Shutdown Type: power off " so it's ESET unrelated.

Next there are 88 records "The drive cannot locate a specific area or track on the disk." and the same number of "The drive cannot find the sector requested." records which points to a disk problem.

There are 162 records from WER about crashes: Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BlueScreen Response: Not available Cab Id: 0  Problem signature: P1: 124 P2: 0 P3: ffffc0858888f028 P4: bf800000 P5: 124 P6: 10_0_19045 P7: 0_0 P8: 256_1 P9:  P10:   Attached files: \\?\C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080624-9234-01.dmp \\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-21046-0.sysdata.xml \\?\C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER636D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER639D.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63BB.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER63DB.tmp.txt  These files may be available here: \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_124_c136dec484b16253f4e177a55b3e8ec353e73c5e_00000000_cab_2dc24102-501e-4b91-b816-42591480c19c  Analysis symbol:  Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: e7e16bf2-3cd8-49e0-830b-f318a573f250 Report Status: 2049 Hashed bucket:  Cab Guid: 0

I see that you have Malwarebytes with all its drivers installed. Please make sure to use MBAM only as a second opinion on-demand scanner without any driver installed (at least not with its real-time protection driver).

You have the ESET LiveGrid Reputation system turned off. As a result:
- trusted / whitelisted files are unnecessarily scanned resulting in longer scans and higher impact on performance
- false positives are likely to occur
- new threats are detected with a bigger delay

Please try running a scan with LG Reputation system turned on. Future scans should be faster. Also I'd recommend to consider enabling the ESET LiveGrid Feedback system for improved protection.

Thank you for your expertise. I looked into the following that you told me to turn on.

LG Reputation system was already enabled. I did enable ESET LiveGrid Feedback system, which was deactivated.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Swizz said:

LG Reputation system was already enabled.

There seems to be a problem with LiveGrid. It's enabled but there was probably a problem with communication with ESET LiveGrid servers and also the SysInspector log was missing LiveGrid information.

Please make sure that the CloudCar test file is detected as Suspicious upon download: http://amtso.eicar.org/cloudcar.exe.