Malicious website submissions are ignored

@MarcosHi! Here's a somewhat similar stealer sample I sent you in a private message a few days ago. The current signature on the exe file is not an effective solution. I assume it should also be analyzed by an analyst to create a better signature like it was created for the other two samples I shared in this thread:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/e9d1c22e3616399e4ce428ab0c4bbc7d0519f9e3cd19ad91d33bcef5ce539f5c/detection

Yesterday evening, I noticed that the CrowdStrike analysis for above noted installer.exe had not performed a detailed analysis report for it. So I did that. Results are here: https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sample/a361465a9b8ccd239c2499e0c044b9acb2cd787d2913750a245fe707737e90c7/66b00aec6da8dce9c40083cc . What did the analysis report reveal?

1. It's definitely installing the infostealer malware.

2. None of the OPSWAT AV engines CrowdStrike uses detected anything malicious with it.

3. It has never been submitted to VT. Why?

4. After installer.exe runs, it deletes itself.

As far as I am concerned, AV's including Eset are not going to detect these infostealer's by signature method. First, their local hueristic analysis needs to be "beefed up" behavior analysis-wise to at least submit the .exe for further analysis. However overall, existing product behavior analysis need to be enhanced to detect these infostealers.

Also. consumer product LiveGuard analysis is ineffective. I have had it detect infostealer samples I downloaded only to return a clean verdict. Infostealer's along with most malware today, employ VM and sandbox aware logic and will not detonate their malicious code when such is detected.

Edited by itman

Update on this free game web site serving up an infostealer.

Eset took "the nuclear option" and now blacklisting the web site. Better than nothing.

Eset_Game.thumb.png.18debe96fd66b0587424e320473a2d10.png

Edited by itman

On 8/5/2024 at 9:31 PM, itman said:

As far as I am concerned, AV's including Eset are not going to detect these infostealer's by signature method. First, their local hueristic analysis needs to be "beefed up" behavior analysis-wise to at least submit the .exe for further analysis. However overall, existing product behavior analysis need to be enhanced to detect these infostealers.

Also. consumer product LiveGuard analysis is ineffective. I have had it detect infostealer samples I downloaded only to return a clean verdict. Infostealer's along with most malware today, employ VM and sandbox aware logic and will not detonate their malicious code when such is detected.

Yeah, signature-based detection is not enough. Even Hybrid-analysis is not doing a good job.

@MarcosTwo phishing sites. Blacklisted by Symantec:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/ffa39757976dc67f58860f82a6c40100397bf54e394357d12683250ace0741d3/detection

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/cac61363aab776905c8c8c9e8c5561d00df3593abfce5b6412aaa00bba547ee2/detection

• Administrators
8 hours ago, SeriousHoax said:

I don't see anything really bad about those sites but since they are relatively new and require login, they will be blocked.

On 8/9/2024 at 12:19 AM, itman said:

Note this is Android phone malware.

Yeah, I'm aware as I use an Android phone myself. It's an unofficial Telegram app installer but I don't know if it's a malware or not. Only Ikarus detects it according to VT. Ikarus quite often just copies ESET and Kaspersky's signature (mostly ESET).