JS/Voluum.A pop up

Jlindien

Hello guys i'm new on  this forum!

But i've got something annoying happening to me.I've got a new computer and transfered my eset security antivirus and everything went fine. I donwloaded chrome also because its my favorite internet browser.  But everytime i try surfing the web with google chrome, my antivirus keep sending me this kind of message (see screenshot)  sometimes its a bit different: just differents numbers of localhost.

When i got those i always do the same thing and disconnect as i don't want to take any chances, but its really annoying because it pop up everytime i try to browse the web. So what can i do?  I tried to do something in my google chrome settings but it didn't work.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 184943.png

This is an ad tracker related to voluum.com. Related forum posting here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/18146-how-to-check-eset-knowledgebase/ . Since it can do browser redirection, it can be used to redirect to a malicious web site.

A more recent posting is here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/35040-clients-reporting-alerts-from-foxnewscom/#comment-163133 . In this case, the Eset detection source was from an ad displayed from a legit web site. If the Eset detection only occurs on certain web sites, either avoid those web sites or install a good ad blocking extension such as uBlock Origin.

Edited by itman

Im not even going to any site sometimes. today it happened only by opening the google browser. I already have an adblocker. It even happened when i went to check the links you gave me itman.

Edited by Jlindien

3 hours ago, Jlindien said:

So are you suggesting that a change my adblock to uBlock Origin? is it free or do i have to pay for it, can you give me the link please thank you.

Do as @Marcos instructed.

Uninstall at your existing Chrome extensions. If the Eset detection alerting stops, this confirms the activity is originating from an extension. Now one by one, reinstall your extensions. Wait a bit before installing a new extension to observe if Eset alerts again. Once Eset starts alerting again, that recently installed extension is the source of Eset alerting. Permanently uninstall that extension.

I removed all Chrome extension, Eset alerts keep coming again after a while. Its frustrating honestly, it may be on my side as i'm not that good with computers. :(  I mean i don't go into shady sites, i was good for 5 years with Eset never alerting me like this with my old computer. As soon as i installed chrome on my new computer its happening.

• Administrators

Did you also try uninstalling Chrome and installing it from scratch? It could be that you have allowed notifications from a dodgy website. Also make sure that sync is turned off.

You can also try this.

Go to Chrome Store and install uBlock Origin extension. It's a free extension;

Eset_Ublock.thumb.png.2f8dc5972f2fb2d4c26fdc1e0e0f937c.png

This should silently block all ads using Voluum ad tracker. Make sure you close and then re-open Chrome after installing the extension.

If for some reason an ad is not blocked on the source web page, uBlock deploys a TPL that will block any connection to the Voluum web site;

Eset_Lowe.thumb.png.bb5505cd6e423a39c9a500ed6d9ad093.png

I tried reinstalling chrome with sync off, i've got uBlock origin but eset is alerting me again. I'm at a point where i'll try to get someone to come home to fix this or i'll just use another browser (like firefox).

Unless there is a way in the settings ublock origin to block it in way. Thanks guys for trying to help me. I'm tired of those alerts.

Edited by Jlindien

I will make this comment.

The web is full of postings of Google's associations to Voluum such as this one: https://doc.voluum.com/en/google_ads_traffic_source.html .It is reasonable to assume that Google via Chrome use is facilitating Voluum's ad activities tracking. As such, it is also reasonable that Chrome itself is thwarting ad blocker extension activity to block Voluum's ad tracking activities.

What is odd is it appears you are the only one recently who has posted about Eset alerting about this add tracking activity. One reason might be is you state this is a new PC. If you purchased it from a retail manufacturer such as HP, these devices are known to have multiple factory installed crap software apps; some of those tracker based.

I did not purchased my computer at those kind or retailers. This is the same place that i bought my old computer where i had no problems in 6 years. If you can't do anything else its fine. I'll try to solve this problem on my own. thanks for your work anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had the same issue recently but instead with the Opera GX browser. However i'm not sure if this is an incompatibility problem with some softwares. Do you have any web protection services other than ESET's? I've used myself NordVPN's web protection feature and kept ringing those alarm bells to the ESET's antivirus anytime i browse with it on!