ESET Endpoint Security 10.0.2045 - W10 PCs dragging

Is anyone else having issues with PCs today simply dragging? W10 22H2 with the July Windows security updates installed 7/13/23.

Trying to rule out a number of changes in our environment from the last week (BIOS updates, Dell Command Update installs, other automated application updates).

We have some PCs with ESET email integration in Outlook, others without due to a prior issue which I feel has since been resolved. 

ESET is just another cog in the wheel so I'm reaching out to see if others are seeing similar issues today.

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. When the issue occurs, enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics -> Advanced logging in the advanced setup
  2. After 1-2 minutes stop logging
  3. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here. If too big, upload it to a safe location (e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox,...) and drop me a personal message with a download link.

Hi.

By dragging if you mean they are slow as hell, we have had this aswell and the update of ESET 10.0.2045.0 to 10.1.2046.0 did not complete.

To solve this problem, reboot the computer and quickly turn-off and disable "Windows Update" service then make sure Microsoft Edge is updated, then run the update from ESET, then reboot when asked by ESET and everything is fine again no need to restore the service Windows does this automaticaly on reboot.

Hi @Jens Holmkvist yes that's exactly what's happening, and so far uninstalling ESET has resolved the issue. I am still trying to get logs but even the ESET Log Collector is having trouble running. 

Interesting solution, on a PC I can test and dupe the issue with, Edge is currently on Version 115.0.1901.188 but the latest appears to be 117.0.2007.0.

By running the update from ESET did you go to 10.1.2046 or are you talking about definition updates, etc?

Edited by John.From.VT
Added question on ESET update

Hi @John.From.VT We got Edge 115.0.1901.200, to test if you have problematic Edge try to download a file from the internet, if you can download a file with Edge then you got a working version and dont need to worry about it.

Yes by updating i mean install version 10.1.2046 this solves all other issues, what i did was in ESET under update i just pressed search for updates and it installs version 10.1.2046, this step got stuck if Edge could not download files and the "Windows Update" service was running

Edited by Jens Holmkvist

KB5028166..

Install hangs w 10.0.2045.0 and hips on.. Users get stuck and hard reboot.

You get a broken install…terrible performance, lockups, slow downs in Outlook and PPT reported.

We had to disable hips..roll kb5028166 back.. redeploy kb5028166.. then 9244. Then enable hips.

We have send logs to eset.. awaiting a callback from level 3 as to remediation procedure..

Hey @Jasonleigh no kidding. We've had July updates installed since July 14th and are just seeing this issue this week. HIPS is on. Very interesting. So far today we've been installing 10.1.2046 and seeing the issue being resolved. But tomorrow will tell if the issue continues...

We are seeing something similar as well. I could not pinpoint what the issue was but had suspicion of ESET just due to the fact that anything web related lags out (Outlook freezes for long periods of time, or FireFox would just freeze and end up crashing). I came here looking to see if anyone else was reporting anything and sure enough, looks like we aren't the only ones seeing this. I will try 10.1.2046 and see if that helps.

@Marcos is there any further information on this? Is ESET aware?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, rockshox said:

We are seeing something similar as well. I could not pinpoint what the issue was but had suspicion of ESET just due to the fact that anything web related lags out (Outlook freezes for long periods of time, or FireFox would just freeze and end up crashing). I came here looking to see if anyone else was reporting anything and sure enough, looks like we aren't the only ones seeing this. I will try 10.1.2046 and see if that helps.

@Marcos is there any further information on this? Is ESET aware?

These are symptoms of Windows Defender running alongside with ESET, e.g. when it's enforced by a GPO policy and the AV registered in the Windows Security Center is ignored. Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector for perusal.

That isn't the case for us. Defender is disabled and only ESET is active. My personal work computer had the issue today and after fiddling around and rebooting several times have having the problem still occur I then, checked for Windows Updates, installed the latest BIOS for the PC then it just magically started working again. I honestly don't know what fixed it. We did however have multiple reports last week of weird lag issues and nobody could put their finger on the exact issue, but on suspicion of the AV this morning I came to the forums to see if anyone had reported similar and found they had.

I'll try and get logs when the issue is reported again. My personal work computer appears to be fine now, I can't recreate the issue currently but I did just upgrade to 10.1.2046.

We are having the same issue with around 30 PCs. It looks like it's related to KB5028166. The issue only occurs while Windows is downloading/installing an update in the background. We were mainly having issues with Edge/Firefox/Office applications. We updated ESET to 10.1.2046 last week but we've had issues this week with Acrobat freezing, again while Windows is downloading an update.

When windows is downloading/installing updates or checking for updates the CPU usage is at 99/100%, with ESET Service, Antimalware Service Executable, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Service, MoUSO Core Worker Process and Windows Modules Installer taking up most if the usage. Windows defender is disabled even though the process shows in task manager. We are on Windows 10 22H2.

I've taken logs on one of the PCs with the issue while it is updating and after it has finished, where can I upload these?

• Administrators
On 8/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, KECM said:

I've taken logs on one of the PCs with the issue while it is updating and after it has finished, where can I upload these?

Please raise a support ticket so that it's properly tracked in the system.

I have a very similar problems with 50-60 machines. There are Windows Updates installation Problems. We did an offboarding from Microsoft Defender 365 (so the service Windows Defender Advanced Threat Service is not running).

After that the updates (July and August) are installing without problem and fast.