Windows firewall issue after installing ESET (Just a surmise that it may be the reason why)

Bing

I'm not a native speaker of English so if there's any vague description please don't blame me😊

I used Pulse Secure to connect to VPN. My ESET expired few months ago and I remove it with the uninstaller provided by ESET Taiwan [1] (I'll put the link below). Everything works smoothly, and the VPN also works well. Few days ago I bought a new ESET key and reinstalled it. But I can't connect to my VPN anymore. I've tried every methods I could find via supporting community of Pulse Secure [2] (reinstall, running commends etc.). And I found a more serious issue, the firewall (0x8007042c), it is disabled but I can't enable it or fix it even after I uninstalled ESET completely. After trying some methods (fixing 0x8007042c), and non of them succeeded😭. I'm not sure whether ESET causes the firewall issue or not. (Hope it isn't, ESET is the best anti virus app I'd ever used)

My os is win10 BTW

LINKs⬇️

[1]: https://www.eset.com/tw/about/newsroom/press-releases/news/eset-移除工具與步驟-uninstaller-tool/

[2]: https://community.pulsesecure.net/t5/Pulse-Desktop-Clients/Pulse-Secure-1205-error-after-1st-good-connection/td-p/43760
https://community.pulsesecure.net/t5/Pulse-Connect-Secure/Pulse-Secure-Stuck-on-quot-Secure-Connection-quot-Error-1205/td-p/38195
https://community.pulsesecure.net/t5/Pulse-Desktop-Clients/Error-1205-Failed-to-setup-Virtual-Adapter/td-p/39880

• Administrators

Unfortunately you didn't mention what ESET product and version you have installed. Does temporarily uninstalling ESET make a difference?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Unfortunately you didn't mention what ESET product and version you have installed. Does temporarily uninstalling ESET make a difference?

OP states it does not:

2 hours ago, Bing said:

And I found a more serious issue, the firewall (0x8007042c), it is disabled but I can't enable it or fix it even after I uninstalled ESET completely.

As far as fixing error code 0x8007042c, scroll down to the section titled "Fix Windows Firewall error 0x8007042c" in this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-error-0x8007042c-for-windows-update-or-firewall .

Edited by itman

On 3/18/2023 at 1:06 AM, Marcos said:

I don't remember the virsion I'd installed. The only thing I know is that it is Internet Security

On 3/18/2023 at 2:38 AM, itman said:

OP states it does not:

As far as fixing error code 0x8007042c, scroll down to the section titled "Fix Windows Firewall error 0x8007042c" in this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-error-0x8007042c-for-windows-update-or-firewall .

Thanks for your reply, but none of the metodes are able to fix error 0x8007042c. Here's the result of running the .bat file a few days ago:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>c config MpsSvc start= auto
'c' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc config KeyIso start= auto
[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc config BFE start= auto
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc config FwcAgent start= auto
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop MpsSvc
The Windows Defender Firewall service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start MpsSvc
System error 1068 has occurred.

The dependency service or group failed to start.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop KeyIso
The following services are dependent on the CNG Key Isolation service.
Stopping the CNG Key Isolation service will also stop these services.

Wired AutoConfig
   Extensible Authentication Protocol

Do you want to continue this operation? (Y/N) [N]: Y
The Wired AutoConfig service is stopping.
The Wired AutoConfig service was stopped successfully.

The Extensible Authentication Protocol service is stopping.
The Extensible Authentication Protocol service was stopped successfully.

The CNG Key Isolation service is stopping.
The CNG Key Isolation service was stopped successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start KeyIso
The CNG Key Isolation service is starting.
The CNG Key Isolation service was started successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start Wlansvc
The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start dot3svc
The Wired AutoConfig service is starting.
The Wired AutoConfig service was started successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start EapHostnet
The service name is invalid.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop BFE
The Base Filtering Engine service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start BFE
System error 1083 has occurred.

The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start PolicyAgent

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start MpsSvc

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start IKEEXT

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start DcaSvcnet

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop FwcAgent

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start FwcAgent

The tab closed immediately after running all commends so I can't see what the last line was. (need to click very fast : P). The result I got earlier today is the same. 

8 hours ago, Bing said:

c config MpsSvc start= auto

This command is wrong. It should be:

sc config MpsSvc start= auto

Also, did you run the .bat script as admin; e.g. right button mouse click on the .bat file, then select "run as administrator?"

Have you tried to reset the Win firewall as noted in this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-windows-firewall-settings .

Edited by itman

• 3 weeks later...
On 2023/3/19 at PM9點32分, itman said:

這個命令是錯誤的。它應該是:

sc config MpsSvc start=自動

另外,您是否以管理員身份運行 .bat 腳本?例如,右鍵單擊.bat 文件,然後選擇“以管理員身份運行?”

您是否嘗試按照本文所述重置 Win 防火牆: https: //www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-windows-firewall-settings

Sorry that I didn't Posted for a while. (Still a high school stutent struggling to get into my dream university)

Yes, I did run as admin. I changed the "c" to "sc" in the first line. But some error occured, error code 1068 and 1683. I have met these error codes when attempting to start "Windows Defender Firewall" and "Base Filtering Engine" in Services.  

BTW some error also occured few days ago. Microsoft store and other Microsoft apps are broken. At first I can't open my image with the app "Photos" and I tried to reinstall it in Microsoft Store but when I tried to open MS it crash at the time it open, and so do other apps like Photos, Snip & Sketch and Feedback. These apps even disappear from Apps & Features in windows setting🙂. I tried some ways to fix it but they all leads to firewall issue, like some attemp to some location was blocked due to firewall issue. (I forgot what the information provided in the pop out)