Allowing other hardware onto my network

OK please bear with me i'm very wet behind the ears when it comes to dhcp/networks and allowing stuff on my network.

I can just about work out how to fire up the router and wire the pc to it and allow my laptops to gain access wirelessly but that is as far as i can go.

Now i'd like to share some of my PC folders and drives with my laptops as well as allowing my WD TV Live to browse these folders/drives as well, plus on top of that i also have a new Hi-Fi (Marantz M-CR603) that is supposed to be able to play music from my PC, does anyone know what setting i need to change in Smart Security to allow MY laptops/HiFi/WD TV Live to view these folders/drives i'm sure it's in firewall settings somewhere but i don't want it viewable to anyone else, only the people on my network.

Please be gentle with me.

I'm running 6.0.316.0, on Win 7 x64

All1

• ESET Staff

Hi All1,

It sounds like you've managed to create a small network that includes the PC and laptops. To share folders/drives from your PC with your laptops, you should be able to right-click a folder and under Share with define who exactly you want the folder's contents to be accessible to (everyone, specific people etc.). To read more about file sharing on your network, please see this Microsoft knowledgebase article.

Getting your WD TV live and Marantz peripherals past the ESET Firewall will require adding them as exceptions in Personal Firewall settings. I suggest you start with the instructions in SOLN3303, where we detail how to set the Personal Firewall to run in interactive mode. In step 4, give both peripherals a try. You should receive a prompt from ESET asking to allow or deny the communication, if you can use them after selecting allow at the prompt, you've created the rules that you need. Make sure that Remember action (create rule) is selected at the prompt before you click allow or the rules will not be saved. Once you've created your new exceptions, follow through with steps 5-8.

If you're not able to get both peripherals working using the method from SOLN3303, there is a similar procedure that we document in SOLN2899. This article will detail how to enable logging for all the connections blocked by the personal firewall. Assuming my first suggestion does not work, follow the steps in this article and again try both devices with the firewall in interactive mode. If more steps are necessary to get both peripherals running, we'll work on getting the log posted here and examining exactly which connections that are being blocked are coming from your peripherals.

OK thanks for the reply CB530 I'll take an image of my drives in a minute then make the changes you mention and see how i go but i'll read the MS article first, I'll post back with news later

All1