Program Component Update HELP

i was informed that starting with Version 8.x we could now do automatic updates of the eset versions using program component update via policy in ESET protect 8.x. I followed the article accordingly >> https://support.eset.com/en/kb7780-enable-or-disable-micro-program-component-update-in-eset-protect-8x   choosing to "enable micro program component update" steps. I confirmed via request configuration from ESET protect and looked locally at settings on endpoint to confirm this was correct. The policy has been applied since ENDPOINT Antivirus 8.0 was initially installed in the network. 

1. Since its been almost 30+days since policy was implemented shouldn't it have updated all my Windows 10 machines to EEA 8.1 by now? 

2. in the article it shows after "Auto-update" the "choose automatically" in greyed out format. There is also option for "Autoselect". What is the difference between these two and should I be choosing one over the other?  I have tried both in separate policies but still no upgrade. 

3. I wanted to test stand alone machine that is not connected to ESET Protect. This article >>https://support.eset.com/en/kb7773-enable-or-disable-micro-program-component-update-in-eset-endpoint-products-8x  but the end of article titled "Enable Micro Program Component Update in ESET endpoint Windows products" is very confusing as the options for "Ask before update or Auto update" are not even present in the drop down menu's.   I did try implementing same settings in stand alone as I did the policy but stand alone system still did not update to 8.1. 

• Administrators

We are preparing an update to the latest v8.0 which should be available soon.  Automatic program updates are planned to be released about 2-3 months after the release. The current v8.1 is not suitable for automatic update and will require another hotfix first.

OK. I guess I can wait some more to see if it hits that 3month mark. I know that these builds have been on Version 8.0 since it first launched. 

Marcos. When did the very first version of 8.x come out for Endpoint Antivirus? 

in the article >>  https://support.eset.com/en/kb7780-enable-or-disable-micro-program-component-update-in-eset-protect-8x 

it shows after "Auto-update" the "choose automatically" in greyed out format. There is also option for "Autoselect". What is the difference between these two and should I be choosing one over the other?  

I wanted to test stand alone machine that is not connected to ESET Protect. This article >>https://support.eset.com/en/kb7773-enable-or-disable-micro-program-component-update-in-eset-endpoint-products-8x  but the end of article titled "Enable Micro Program Component Update in ESET endpoint Windows products" is very confusing as the options for "Ask before update or Auto update" are not even present in the drop down menu's.   I did try implementing same settings in stand alone as I did the policy but stand alone system still did not update to 8.1. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, tmuster2k said:

in the article >>  https://support.eset.com/en/kb7780-enable-or-disable-micro-program-component-update-in-eset-protect-8x 

it shows after "Auto-update" the "choose automatically" in greyed out format. There is also option for "Autoselect". What is the difference between these two and should I be choosing one over the other?  

It's greyed out in the screen shot because the setting was not selected to be applied by the policy.

2 hours ago, tmuster2k said:

...the end of article titled "Enable Micro Program Component Update in ESET endpoint Windows products" is very confusing as the options for "Ask before update or Auto update" are not even present in the drop down menu's.  

"Ask before update" is not available for program updates. The only options are "Auto-update" and "Never update". In the KB the setting is set to "Auto-update".

in the Policy only "Choose automatically" is the one that appears greyed out. This doesn't have anything to do with the application of policy. Is there an answer though still to >> 

What is the difference between choosing "Choose automatically" and "AUTOSELECT" in the POLICY >>

image.png.f6d2e263b182513a74eac4d643b59a61.png

Issue2: the KB article is not correct as the instructions are not accurate. 

Edited by tmuster2k

• Administrators

"Choose automatically" is just a label which is displayed when no value is entered / selected. "AUTOSELECT" is an actual value that the program internally uses and understands. So whether you leave the field empty and choose AUTOSELECT, the effect will be same.