Question to license renewal

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Actually, I'm in my trial period, and I'm wondering how license renewal is working.

When buying a license and activating it, is there a possibility to extend this license? Let's say, 1 month later, I'll buy a license key from Amazon. Am I able to activate this license to extend my running license? Or do I have to wait till my running license is expired before I buy and activate a new license?

• Administrators

There should be no problem merging two licenses providing that both were purchased from the same authorized ESET partner. 

Ie. it's not possible to purchase a license through www.eset.com and another one through Amazon and then merge them together. Moreover, by purchasing from an unauthorized seller you risk falling a victim to scam. Some sellers at ebay, amazon, etc. resell a 1-user license to several users which causes the license to be canceled.

Thanks Marcos!

I would only buy from authorized sellers like Amazon.de directly. I wouldn‘t buy from Amazon Marketplace or eBay.

So as I understand merging two licenses is always a manual step where I need the help of the support team, right? Then the best way would be to buy a license when it is on sale, but use it when the running license is expired?

• Administrators

ESET doesn't sell at Amazon so whoever you purchase from at Amazon won't be able to merge the licenses. A seller can merge only licenses that were issued by him. It must be an authorized ESET partner with access to ESET's internal ordering system.

If you buy a license it becomes valid as of the date of purchase so you should not buy long before the license is due for renewal. A renewal should be bought from the same seller; it's typically cheaper than a new license and ensures extension of your existing license without the need to reactivate the product with a new license key.

Does this mean, Amazon.de is selling illegal copies of ESET?
https://www.amazon.de/ESET-Internet-Security-Virenschutz-Download/dp/B07H63QNJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=eset+internet+security+2021+3+geräte&qid=1627540644&sprefix=eset&sr=8-3

I can’t believe that… 🤔

I was using ESET some years ago and switched to Norton. Here I was able to activate a license, contact the support team and they merged both licenses together with me.

Now I would love to switch back to ESET and hoped that you were able to merge 2 licenses too. 🤔

• Administrators
  • Solution

I've talked to a sales person for clarification. The conclusion was that you can purchase from Amazon and technical support will be provided by your local ESET distributor. If you purchase a new license from Amazon before your existing license runs out, it will become valid as of the date of activation on ESET's website after which you will receive a new license key that you will have to enter in the product activation window.

In case of renewing the license, the process is seamless, the license key remains same and you don't have set up anything. However, a renewal cannot be purchased long in advance before the license is due to expire and have to be purchased through the renewal link shown in the product which will take you to the appropriate e-store.