Can't use the online scanner

ep2012

Hi,

So I was able to use the online scanner on my desktop which has Win 7, but on my laptop I can't use it.

I check off the box re: the T&C & I click on the "start" button over & over agai & it does nothing.

Please help.

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Have you tried clearing your cache and temporary files, or resetting your browser to defaults ?

Also try with another browser to rule that its simply the current browser you're using. :)

Optimized for Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox users will need to download and run a small utility file before starting scan.

Any browser should allow it.

Reset IE to defaults in internet options > advanced > reset.

Edited by Arakasi

Ok, I got it working on Chrome. You have to install something though.

Do I have to shut off Avast when I run it?

Thanks

The online scanner isn't a real-time protection, so no you don't have to shut off Avast.

However once you see the results, i bet you will be ready to uninstall Avast.

Make sure you choose Advanced, and turn on "archive scanning" and "potentially unwanted applications" detections, or you won't catch all the newer malware.

Thanks and glad you got it working.

Yeh I don't know why I never switched to ESET, no one EVER recommends it unless it's someone helping me to fix my computer & then even then they don't recommend I get it.

This is anit virus, right, not anti malware?

Why does it find things Anti Vira (this is what I used prior to Avast) & Avast don't?

The advanced you mentioned is only if I buy it, right?

No the online scanner has advanced built in. Its at the bottom of the pop up window.

ESET finds more threats then most other products due to their threat lab and research team.

Potentially unwanted applications is a new form of malware that are not considered (virus, trojan, spyware), but simply junk that has no business on a PC besides marketing or financially driven companies.

They hijack half the computer and make changes the user either a. did not choose, or b. to benefit themselves or further distribute the malware.

ESET is a security product, it comes in two flavors: Nod32(Anti-virus) - Smart Security(Anti-virus+firewall+spam protection)

Smart Security has Anti-theft for tablets and laptops as well.

However turning on "potentially unwanted applications" or "potentially unsafe applications" essentially turns the product into a combination anti-virus+anti-malware.

Have a look at an older thread i wrote regarding ESET's capabilities against an anti-malware tool.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/1714-eset-and-malwarebytes-comparison/

Thanks again !

Thank you for that.

So the spam protection is for your e-mail client?

I no longer use a firewall except on the router b/c I had problems with Zone Alarm years ago & too many people told me NOT to use an on board one otherwise it will conflict with software.

I use Prey for protecting my laptop. Not sure the difference with ESET's.I'll

I have to search for the pricing.

Michelle

This is anit virus, right, not anti malware?

Hello,

There is no product on the market today that will only detect "Viruses" Malware = Virus, Trojan, Rootkit etc etc..literally everything bad can be seen as malware.   

I think many vendors keep the word "virus" in the product name since the average consumer tend to look for "antivirus products" and not anti-malware products. So if someone would look for anti-malware products then it's possible only "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and "Emsisoft Anti-Malware" would seem like the only good choices for them.  

I wouldn't mind If the whole industry could agree on a day when every major vendor will change out the word "virus" to "malware" And there would no longer be a confusion like it is today when a few vendors use anti-malware but the majority is still holding on to the "antivirus".

About the firewall in ESS, the default mode is called "automatic mode" wich is exactly like the name implies automatic and is the recommended mode for most users. But if you for some reason don't get a software to connect and work correctly, then it's very easy to switch the firewall to the "Learning mode" for a while so rules will be created automatically and that will in many cases solve the problem.

Good luck :)

Edited by SweX