ESET and Malwarebytes Comparison

Arakasi

Good evening my friends,

I have recently seen an abundance of questions regarding the usage of Malwarebytes and ESET together.

The old history of IT world has always been, never run two Antivirus software together.

The two big points regarding this are 1. Your system will slow down due to large amounts of resources given to protection software. 2. Its possible that real time scanning of the two might cause system halts landing on the same file or preventing execution together.

Some of the general pop. have experienced some concern with Malwarebytes possibly finding remnants or certain objects that ESET skipped or has not been added to their database. In my personal opinion of this, and i alone in this theory would like to answer with the possibility that Malwarebytes might have a larger index of Potentially Unwanted Applications then ESET, coupled with the strong registry object scans that Malwarebytes uses; and its a recipe for cleaning and not so much on the side of a payload file or main executable and/or service that is wreaking havoc. In my observations of finding 14 threats all with similar names and titles, Malwarebytes cleans and removes all files associated with the malware, including the registry entries corresponding.

I would like to share the following link for cleaning up Unwanted Software that ESET might not find, or decided was not software they felt made it into the blacklist of the VSD's.

Malware Removal Guides and Self Help Guides

On ESET's behalf i do feel that their database for Potentially Unwanted Applications is growing everyday.

The main reason for this guide is to make known that Malwarebytes is an Anti-Malware software solution, that covers a broad area of software that may potentially cause your computer harm, however it is not a Security Software nor an Antivirus solution that could be considered the only protection you use. The company has stated numerous times that its a solution that was built to be installed and ran along side your security protection.

ESET - Antivirus / Security software suite

Malwarebytes - Antimalware software

I would like to also include wiki's list of Antivirus software. Malwarebytes is not included in the list, and i can only speculate why its not. List of Antivirus protection.

As short and sweet as i can be, i don't run ESET without MBAM, and i would not run MBAM without ESET either.

They work together great for what we call layered protection.

Although Malwarebytes doesnt have a few things ESET has like Anti-phishing, or Rootkit detection they do still research and attempt preventative measures.

They have an Anti Exploit program. A rootkit program.

A Blog page similar to WeLiveSecurity.

Online Backup Solutions

They also have Endpoint and Enterprise Business platforms too.

Now for the comparison chart, which is aimed at Only the Home version of Nod32 vs Malwarebytes Free

Smart Security vs Malwarebytes PRO

The differences are from what i know publicly and what is built into the apps alone. Any corrections that should or need to be made will be made just PM me. This is simply to suggest it would not be a great idea to dismiss ESET and expect the same amount of protection without it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Computer Protection Comparison Chart

Windows Operating Systems

ESET – Security & Antivirus Software- (est. 1992): ESET's first product was NOD, an antivirus software for computers running msdos. In 1998, ESET introduced NOD32 1.0 for Windows, with version 2.0 following in 2003. It is now 2014 and ESET continues to provide protection in a number of environments including mobile and social. ESET has everything from firewall protection to server and gateway protection. Parental controls, cloud and live-grid protection, even OSX protection. ESET should be categorized as a Security company with security software, not antivirus protection alone.

Malwarebytes – Anti-malware Software- (est. 2004): MBAM claims to find malware that many other anti-virus and anti-spyware programs miss, including rogue security software, adware , and spyware. MBAM scans in batch mode, rather than scanning all files opened, reducing interference if on-demand anti-virus software is also running on the computer. The paid version can perform scheduled scans, automatically scan files when opened, block IP addresses of malicious web sites, and quickly scan only open services, programs and device drivers. Malwarebytes is categorized as an anti-malware software alone.

post-1101-0-21451900-1389589267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

Thank you Arakasi. Nice write up. There have been numerous inquires regarding the use of Malwarebytes and ESET together so your timing is good. ;)

I also use both, but only (right or wrong :blink:) use ESET for my real time protection.

I also use both, but only (right or wrong :blink:) use ESET for my real time protection.

Same here Tom :) I don't feel like I need assistance from MBAM Pro in realtime too.

I think big difference is detection and cleaning of viruses. Only more advanced products can deal with polymorphic file infectors.

ESET can do it, MB - can't.

Very helpful and informative post Arakasi. Many thanks.

Personally, I run Mbam alongside Eset in realtime. As they say, it is designed to work with internet security suites - not in place of.

Personally, I run Mbam alongside Eset in realtime. As they say, it is designed to work with internet security suites - not in place of.

Thanks LezSee for your comments.

I also use real-time on both products without issues.

Recommendation for real-time disable on Mbam might be for the inexperienced or the systems that are not as equipped to have the extra memory being used by the services.

Like one of Swex's machines :D  He has one with 512mb running strong lol

Edited by Arakasi

Thanks LezSee for your comments.

I also use real-time on both products without issues.

Recommendation for real-time disable on Mbam might be for the inexperienced or the systems that are not as equipped to have the extra memory being used by the services.

Like one of Swex's machines :D  He has one with 512mb running strong lol

Blah blah blah  :P  :D  B)

Thanks for the laugh, cheers mate!

Edited by SweX

I guess I won't even mention my "wood veneer" Atari 2600...running both real time* kind of bogs it down. :blink:

*it's a joke

Edited by TomFace

Crysis (I believe) was a little bit after 2600s time (by about 28 or so years). Don't know about (the) Commodore. Back in the day, you were either in one camp or the other (like Chevy vs Ford.......what's a Chrysler?) :P I still have my 2600 (1977-78) and Atari 400 (1979). Learned Atari Basic on the 400.

Edited by TomFace