howto limit syslog entries to errors/warnings

Guest TyNewton

Guest TyNewton

Hi,

Sorry for the newb question but the ESET Installation Manual and User Guide, and Google aren't giving me any good information.  Also, I'm not an expert with Linux.

I am trialing ESET for Linux File Servers and I noticed that it generates quite a lot of syslog entries.  I would prefer if it only recorded when virus's were detected, problems with the software, and maybe a summary so I know it did its scan.  Can anyone recommend a configuration which would make the happen?

The idea is I only need to know when there's a problem; not when everything is working fine.  If there is a really good reason for recording all the virus="is OK" lines in syslog please let me know because I just don't see the need; and it makes the syslog file pretty huge.

Thanks.

Hello TyNewton,

Please change the syslog_class values in esets.cfg and restart the esets daemon. For directions on this process, please see the steps below:

1. Edit the configuration file, the default location is /etc/opt/eset/esets/esets.cfg
  2. Locate the following entry: syslog_class = "error:warning:summall:part"
  3. Change the entry to: syslog_class = "error:warning:summ:part"
  4. Save the configuration file
  5. Restart the esets daemon using the following command: sudo service esets restart

Thank you,

ChadH