Running AdGuard with ESET Internet Security

Hello,

can i run AdGuard Windows App without any problems alongside ESET Internet Security ? Would like to test AdGuard out instead of normal browser AddOns.  Does anyone here has experience with this application and ESET together ? AdGuard has a few features ESET has too. Like HTTPS filtering and AdGuard uses his own cert for this (which ESET does too) and browsing security looking like for malware and phishing and so on.

So if AdGuard does few of the things ESET does too they both are in the way of each other and can cause problems right ? Is it enough to disable certain features in AdGuard or should i not run this software with ESET Internet Security on my computer ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

There have been issues with installed AdGuard and Eset. Search the forum for those postings.

The above said, it is recommended that the browser add-on version of AdGuard be used for maximum compatibility.

If it is desired that the installed version of AdGuard be used, it is imperative that its Windows Filtering Platform option; i.e. WFP, be disabled: https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solving-problems/wfp-driver when using Eset. 

Thank you for the answer. Thats good to know. I will try to find the posts u mentioned to get a little bit more info what the problems are.

7 minutes ago, Computerjul said:

Thank you for the answer. Thats good to know. I will try to find the posts u mentioned to get a little bit more info what the problems are.

I only found a few post from 2017. Is this still a thing today ?

5 minutes ago, Computerjul said:

I only found a few post from 2017. Is this still a thing today ?

Yes.

Most of the Adguard issues are embedded in other titled postings. Eset's forum search capability "sucks" when it comes to finding embedded search criteria by word or phase reference.

2 hours ago, itman said:

Yes.

Most of the Adguard issues are embedded in other titled postings. Eset's forum search capability "sucks" when it comes to finding embedded search criteria by word or phase reference.

I see where you coming from. The dev team of AdGuard said its compatible with most of security software and also it worrks fine with ESET. I read it somewhere. Good that i asked here again. I think i just stick with my browser extensions then if its not fully compatible

If u dont mind can u explain me what the problem is in the technical point of view? I dont understand it really. :)

Edited by Computerjul

1 hour ago, Computerjul said:

If u dont mind can u explain me what the problem is in the technical point of view? I dont understand it really.

The problem is Eset SSL/TLS; i.e. HTTPS, protocol scanning uses the Windows Filtering Platform to do so. The installed version of Adguard also does the same and also by default, uses Windows Filtering Platform. That is where the conflict is and why WFP must be disabled in installed Adguard. This doesn't weaken Adguard's SSL/TLS protocol scanning in any way since it will install a network adapter mini-port filter driver instead to do this protocol scanning.

In the browser add-on version of Adguard, it is examining HTTPS traffic after it has been processed by the browser. As such, it can't detect adware/malware as effectively as can be done via examination outside of the browser. However since Eset has already examined that traffic outside of the browser, it would have already detected anything malicious and removed it prior to web page rendering. This means that the only thing left for Adguard to detect is ads and the like. Additionally, other browser add-ons such as uBlock origin are quite capable of removing ads and the like. As such, I really don't understand why folks insist on spending money on the installed version of Adguard.

Edited by itman

I will also add that using the installed version of Adguard makes sense if you are using an AV solution that does not perform SSL/TLS protocol scanning such as Emsisoft, Windows Defender, etc..