Agents not reporting in after certificate change

We've been getting notices that our peer certificates were going to expire soon (next week), so today I created a new server cert, and a new agent cert, in ESMC.

The server cert I assigned in server settings, rebooted the VM (windows PC), and that looks like it's working fine. Both used the built in ESET Cert authority, which is still valid for 5 years.

The certs are setup for hostname eset.mydomain.com, I also tried just leaving them as *, but neither worked.

For agent cert,  duplicated our existing agent policy, and setup the change of certificate there. The existing agent policy did not have a certificate specified at all, as clients got this info from the config.ini during installation, or it was just pushed to them from ESMC.

I then assigned this new policy to a couple of test machines. 

Each of them reports in one more time, and I can see they now are assigned the new cert in ESMC, however they are no longer reporting into ESMC.

I also tried creating an agent live installer, and installed agent from the batch file, but the agent is never able to connect.

In their agent logs, I see messages like:

2020-07-15 14:33:12 Error: AuthenticationModule [Thread 2ee8]: DeviceEnrollmentCommand execution failed with: Request: Era.Common.Services.Authentication.RPCEnrollmentRequest on connection: host: "eset.mydomain.com" port: 2222 with proxy set as: Proxy: Connection: :3128, Credentials: Name: , Password: ******, Enabled:0, EnabledFallback:1, failed with error code: 14, error message: Connect Failed, and error details: 
2020-07-15 14:33:12 Warning: CReplicationModule [Thread 23bc]: GetAuthenticationSessionToken: Received failure status response: TEMPORARILY_UNAVAILABLE (Error description: session token temporarily unavailable, device is not enrolled yet)
2020-07-15 14:33:12 Error: CReplicationModule [Thread 23bc]: InitializeConnection: Initiating replication connection to 'host: "eset.mydomain.com" port: 2222' failed with: GetAuthenticationSessionToken: Failed to fetch device session token in time
2020-07-15 14:33:12 Warning: CReplicationModule [Thread 23bc]: InitializeConnection: Not possible to establish any connection (Attempts: 1)
2020-07-15 14:33:12 Error: CReplicationModule [Thread 23bc]: InitializeFailOverScenario: Skipping fail-over scenario (stored replication link is the same as current)
2020-07-15 14:33:12 Error: CReplicationModule [Thread 23bc]: CAgentReplicationManager: Replication finished unsuccessfully with message: InitializeConnection: Initiating replication connection to 'host: "eset.mydomain.com" port: 2222' failed with: GetAuthenticationSessionToken: Failed to fetch device session token in timeReplication details: [Task: CReplicationConsistencyTask, Scenario: Automatic replication (OUT_OF_ORDER), Connection: eset.mydomain.com:2222, Connection established: false, Replication inconsistency detected: false, Server busy state detected: false, Realm change detected: false, Realm uuid: 356af7a2-24c8-42d7-ac8e-061bb6fe9e5c, Sent logs: 0, Cached static objects: 0, Cached static object groups: 0, Static objects to save: 0, Static objects to delete: 0, Modified static objects: 0]

I've tried rebooting the client machines, but it didn't help.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

• Administrators

If you create a new agent live installer and install it on a troublesome client, will it start connecting to the ESMC server?

That didn't work with the cert that specified the server name, but it did work with the wildcard cert (just *)

I've since gone back and edited the policy to use the wildcard, and it seems to be working now.

Is there a known issue with using the hostname in the cert?