ESS locks up system when running ProcMon boot log

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Whenever I try to run Process Monitor boot logging, my system locks up at startup. Only a hard reset and entering Safe Mode to run ProcMon can stop the lock up. I've narrowed down the problem to the Real-time File system protection. There's no lock up if I untick the "Start Real-time file system protection automatically.", and I can run Process Monitor to complete the boot log.

Running Windows 7 64-bit & ESS v5.2.15.0.

I've already tried uninstalling and re-installing ESS. Still the same result.

I've also noticed that at system startup, I can't do anything until ESS completely loads and has started (when ESS GUI is blank). I didn't pay much attention to it because the delay usually just lasts 10-15 seconds. I have also noticed turning off the automatic Real-time protection eliminates the delay. So I'm guessing the delay has something to do w/ the lock-up. And another point to mention is that ESS becomes responsive (GUI no longer blank) at around the same time I get connected to my network.

I know there's a conflict somewhere, but I already tried disabling non-Microsoft services and startup items, the delay is still present. Any suggestions on how else to narrow down the conflict?

Edited by arcus

Because I've been using 5 for some time, I just noticed the problem now when trying to do a boot log.

Does v7 eliminate the problem?

Edited by arcus

• Administrators

Because I've been using 5 for some time, I just noticed the problem now when trying to do a boot log.

Try it and see. Let us know about your findings then.

Impossible to answer until you have tried V7 I think. And if you don't experience this in the latest version then ESET doesn't need to fix something in an older version. 

Not only that, but you will get new important protection layers in V7 as well.

Infact that's how I ended up on V7 I did get a problem with V5 myself, and I thought why should I ask ESET to fix something in an old version, why not test the latest version to see if I would have the same issue, and no I did not the issue was gone. So trying the latest is always the best thing to do to see if you experience the same problem or not.

Edited by SweX

Can I just install over v5 or uninstall v5 and install v7 anew? Also, can the settings from v5 be imported to v7? My firewall rules can be a bit of a pain to redo.

Someone else will have to answer the import questions about the settings & firewall rules. Since I always start fresh myself so I have never tried that.

But about installing V7 over V5, if I were you I would not do that as then you may be installing V7 "over" the problem and it will stay and maybe continue on.

I would uninstall V5 and do a fresh install of V7 so that as little as possible from V5 will stay in place. Even if you didn't have an issue with V5 I would have advised an V5 uninstall and fresh install of V7 anyway. :)

• Administrators
  • Solution

If one has experienced issues with an older version, I'd always recommend starting from scratch to rule out the possibility that the issue was caused by misconfiguration of the program.

Thought I would like to say that updating to ESS7 solves the problem. So, thanks!

I just now have to get used to the new icon, an E instead of the circles.

Thought I would like to say that updating to ESS7 solves the problem. So, thanks!

I just now have to get used to the new icon, an E instead of the circles.

Very good to hear that. Glad you got it sorted in an easy way just by upgrading.

You will probably start to like the green "e" more or at least just as much as the old Eye over time, I did that anyway  :)

Edited by SweX