ESS firewall has holes ?

• ESET Insiders

I installed it today and tested it with shieldsup which said the test was failed because of port 80 having been left unstealthed (and open), when I had Avast ALL ports whre steahlted.

Is it something to worry about ? I'm running W8.1, windows firewall says being managed by ESS.

Incoming and outgoing traffic, whether it be tcp or udp, on port 80 is usually Hypertext transfer protocol traffic(HTTP).

It would not be that much of an alarm, and if so, firewalls are what you make of them. WIth a firewall "your" in control.

You can close port 80 from outgoing or incoming or whatever you choose in the firewall configuration.

Eset may have left it open by default or a program or web app you are running may have opened it.

Suggest waiting for a response from ESET. :)

@oldfart

Are you behind a router that has a firewall in it? If Yes then AFAIK you're testing against the router and not ESS.

When I test with my HW firewall on I get fully stealthed, and with the HW firewall off against ESS I get fully stealthed.

As long as you get closed or stealthed you're fine.

You could try to do the test a couple times in a row to see if it makes a difference or not, it have for me in the past.

• ESET Insiders

Thx for these replies, yes my rig is behind a dsl router box. What alerted me is that neither NIS nor Avast had a single port left unstealthed.

NIS has a firewall yes.

But regarding Avast, wich Avast product do you refer to? Since Avast Free does not include a Firewall, only Avast IS and above do.

Did you run the test again to see if the results would be the same?

Edited by SweX