Sysrescue With Error Message "Updating Virus Database Error."

Hi,

The actual error message is "virus signature database ended with with an error." I don't know if posting this is appropriate because I'm working on this problem with Customer Support. I hope someone will let me know if it is or isn't.

I have three desktops and one laptop with Windows 7. The three  desktops have Windows 7 Pro (one desktop is a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP) and the laptop has Window 7 Home Premium. I can make Sysrescue USB and CD disks on all of them including XP, and it only works on one computer. Customer Service has asked to send them results of "ipconfig" and "tracert update.eset.com" and I'm waiting for them to respond. Customer Support wrote that if "tracert update.eset.com" is okay they will escalate it.

I also know about the idiotic problem with removing USB drives with Visa and Windows 7 that Microsoft has never repaired with an Update. With Vista and Windows 7, when you click on the icon to remove the USB drive, the USB isn't actually disabled, although, I have seen a new HP computer with Windows 7 that does work correctly. The registry has to be edited to fix this problem on every Vista and Windows 7 purchased disk after installing the operating system. You can google "DisableOnSoftRemove" and click on the Microsoft Knowledge Base article to get instructions on how to edit the registry that fixes the USB issue. I have done that to all of my computers including the Laptop, so I know it's safe to remove USB drives because the lights go out and it's actually safe to remove them so I know I'm not damaging them when I remove them.

Customer support is very good. I called them about a computer not owned by me that I was working on that had an MBR infection. They took the computer over and removed it with a bunch of tools. They also gave me links to all of the tools they were using except one because it was licensed. The reason I realized Sysrescue wasn't updating is because I was working on a computer that had the ICE FBI infection and Sysrescue wouldn't update. While corresponding with Customer Support, I was asked if I need help repairing the computer even though they knew it didn't belong to me.

Has anyone had this problem and figured out what is wrong?

Jes

Edited by jeslookn

I just noticed "Forum Feeback" and it states "PLEASE do not post product support-related questions in this topic." I think I need to delete the above post, but don't see how I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I want to add Firefox or Google Chrome to Sysrescue to see if I can get on the internet just to see if I have an internet connection. I have searched the internet to learn how to add "External Apps," and the only page I found is from this forum where aschlemm started a topic named "ESET SS 6 SysRescue External Apps." It's nice that Sysrescue has this option, but there are no instruction on how to do it. Eset Moderators, What good is it to have an option to install "External Apps" if there are no instructions on how to do it?

Any help with this would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Jes

Edited by jeslookn