Since v11, update information is not consistent

Zoberraz

Hello!

I've been using Nod32 antivirus for a few years as a home user. I currently run on the Windows 7 OS.

Ever since Nod32 gave me the prompt to update to version 11, I've been getting error message going along the lines of "update information is not consistent". That's the first time I've ever seen that from Nod32.

Now it's been 4 days and that still hasn't sorted itself out. Yesterday I attempted a full re-install (using the download link from the ESET homepage) but that still yields the same result: Module update failed, update information is not consistent.

Current version is 11.0.149.0

Last update: 10/11/2017 6:33:15 PM

Last check for updates: 14/11/2017 9:46:17 PM

I've glanced around the forum and the knowledgebase, but not a whole lot jumped to me in a "this will solve your problem" way. I did try to read up on some of the troubleshooting, but the jargon often went over my head. I'm at the point where I feel I need to ask for help.

Thank you for your consideration. :)

• Administrators

Please install and run Wireshark and capture the network communication while attempting to update ESET. When done, save the log (pcap) and post it here or send it to me via a personal message. I assume that update.ver is somehow corrupted or replaced with an html notice from a proxy or whatever.

Thank you for the reply!

I sent the Wireshark-generated .pcap file to you via Private Message. Hopefully I did that right.

I'm at a point where I get Windows alert that my Anti-virus is out of date and must be updated manually. Of course, that doesn't work. I can't find anything remotely close to manual download of the latest definitions on the eset.com support website. Manually reinstalling the application doesn't add the latest either.

The Nod32 antivirus itself has a few more alerts in the home section about the detection engine not being up to date. Of course, updating modules just yields the same results as before.

Consequently, the LiveGrid is no longer accessible.

• Administrators

Did you upgrade from v9 to v11 by downloading and running the Live Installer from ESET's website? For some reason, v11 attempts to update from a v9 update folder which contains incompatible update files.

Please uninstall v11 and install it from scratch.

Thanks for getting back to me. I wasn't sure I'd hear from you until Monday. :)

It was probably version 10? In the years I've had Nod32, I usually let it do its thing. Sometimes it asks me to upgrade it and I just go through with it. Never had any issue before with that until v11. It was only later that I employed the Live Installer to try to force the application to be up to date if it wasn't.

I did an uninstall of Nod32 from the Control Panel\Program and Features, filled in with the survey stuff and completed the uninstallation. Then I rebooted.

Using the Live Installer, I tried to download Nod32 Antivirus again, but now it tells me the latest version of Nod32 is still installed. I tried using Iobit's Advance System Care to run a sweep to clean up my registry entries and then rebooted, but only to the same result afterwards. I also attempted to obtain the eav_nt64.exe file to try installing from that - still did not work.

So, right now, I'm utterly unable to reinstall Nod32. Still troubleshooting.

edit:

-Tried installing v10 instead. Same thing.

Edited by Zoberraz

I restarted Windows 7 in Safe mode and used the esetuninstaller.exe application.

It went by relatively quickly. Over about as soon as I answered any prompts.

Then I restarted my computer and once back with Windows 7 operating normally, I attempted to use the default live installer that we can download off the website. This time I was not being blocked by a previous installation and was able to swiftly reinstall the application and - since I had my license key on hand - activated it without a problem.

Once the Nod32 antivirus application came back online, there was a 10-step patching process and all seemed to go through. It now shows that my last update is on 18/11/2017.

It is currently in the process of doing its first scan after installation. Which I intended to do anyways to cover for the days my computer was essentially accessing the web with its pants down.

So this appears to resolve my problem with the "Update information is not consistent" message that has plagued me ever since Nod32 tried to auto-update itself to Version 11. If anyone encounters the same problem and searches for the issue here, hopefully this thread will come in handy for them.

Thank you for your time and attention, Marcos. I greatly appeciate that you were willing to get back to me, especially considering it's the weekend.

Edited by Zoberraz