ESET SS 7 & Java/CVE-2013-2423

Go to solution Solved by tjg79,

I'm running ESET Smart Security 7 with Windows Defender on my Win 7 Pro x64 system. I was troubleshooting another issue when it was suggested to run Microsoft Safety Scanner. I ran the scanner and it detected the malware Java/CVE-2013-2423 and indicated that it was only partially removed.

I've deleted all Java programs from my system, and restore points and backups as well. I've run the MS Safety Scanner several times with the same results, only partial removal.

Why doesn't ESET Smart Security 7 detect and remove this threat?

Windows Defender didn't detect it as well.

Is this a real threat?

Regards

• Administrators

Hello,

unfortunately, without getting and analyzing the file, it's impossible to tell whether it was an actual threat, benign object related to malware or false positive.

Actually, I was incorrect. It was ESET Smart Security 6 that didn't detect this threat. I just installed ESET Smart Security 7, but hadn't run a full scan. My first full scan is almost complete and it appears that ESET Smart Security 7 has detected and cleaned ten threats that Smart Security 6 didn't detect.

I see a Java/Exploit.Agent.PVZ Trojan in Quarantine. I don't know if this is the same threat that Microsoft Safety Scanner detected, but I will rescan and see if it still detects a threat. If it doesn't, then this must be what it detected.

Good job ESET. It appears that SS 7 is a big improvement over SS 6.

Regards

Edited by tjg79

• Administrators

I've found a bunch of files detected under that name by some other antivirus programs but all of them merely loads applet (jar file). The applet itself is detected by ESET as Java/Exploit.Agent.PVZ.

• Solution

I confirmed that the two threats are the same, by rescanning with Microsoft Safety Scanner. A subsequent scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner after ESET SS 7 detected and removed the threat indicated no threats detected.

ESET SS 7 detected and quarantined this threat on its first full scan.

I don't see why ESET SS 6 didn't detect this threat.

Regards

Edited by tjg79