Chrome override web control

Aletta

Good day

I am testing out ESET Endpoint Security 6. I am trying to block google websites (e.g. Youtube), but the block only works on other web browser that Chrome. In other words Youtube is blocked on internet explorer, but Chrome overrides the block and still display Youtube. I have tried amny different options, but I just can seem to get the block working for Chrome. Other website blocks (e.g. Facebook, BBC News, etc.) works on Chrome.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance. 

Version 56.0.2924.8, 64-bit, I have tried blocking by using both category and url as well as adding *youtube* to the List of Blocked addresses in the Web Access protection tab. I do have SSL/TSL scanning enabled. It all works on other browsers, just not chrome.  

• Administrators

I merely added *youtube.com* to the exception list with the action set to Block. Although I tested it with ESS, it shouldn't be any different with Endpoint.

ess10_parental_chrome_2.png

There is no user account in the business version, what you will have to do is enable the SSL/TSL protocol filtering under Advanced Setup - Web and email. Then you can add the address to a URL group of blocked addresses.

Note of caution: I've been using this for some time now and some things will get blocked automatically and you'll have to put in exceptions for them - you won't know what they are until something doesn't work and then you have to trigger the interactive SSL/TSL filtering mode to find the addresses you need to allow. I have an Allowed URL group (moved to the top of the list) with things like quickbooks various addresses it needs, plus dropbox etc. I have not found a way around this, program exceptions don't seem to matter and no one else seems to know either. 

8 hours ago, Michelle911 said:

There is no user account in the business version, what you will have to do is enable the SSL/TSL protocol filtering under Advanced Setup - Web and email. Then you can add the address to a URL group of blocked addresses.

Note of caution: I've been using this for some time now and some things will get blocked automatically and you'll have to put in exceptions for them - you won't know what they are until something doesn't work and then you have to trigger the interactive SSL/TSL filtering mode to find the addresses you need to allow. I have an Allowed URL group (moved to the top of the list) with things like quickbooks various addresses it needs, plus dropbox etc. I have not found a way around this, program exceptions don't seem to matter and no one else seems to know either. 

I have already done that, but it still does not work. Chrome overrides the block for all the google related websites (other websites like facebook, bbc news, etc. that is specified gets blocked unless it is a google related website). On the other web browsers the block works for all the set rules including the google related websites. Where can I report this bug? 

That is strange, make sure you don't have chrome excluded as an application anywhere and check the priority of your rules. Otherwise, I would open a support ticket. Are you applying rules directly in ESS or through ERA?

19 hours ago, Michelle911 said:

I'm applying the rules directly in EES. I also checked that chrome is not excluded from any checks possible. I still can block google related websites on google chrome.

Edited by Aletta

ESS S/B - EES - is Eset Enpoint Security and by that I mean opening the dashboard on each desktop or device

ERA - is Eset Remote Administrator - this is a dashboard that shows all of your computers. You can do mass policies, tasks, etc

Edited by Michelle911
spelling

• 9 months later...