Dear all,

As per subject, after the installation of ESET 18.0.11.0 Firefox began to refuse to start and then crash with no chances to even reinstall it. Any attempt to reinstall it produces the same error message related to MSVCP140.dll (I think something like this: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.). I had similar issues with an update of Wireshark which had to be uninstalled. Firefox installs despite the error message but it won't allow any web access, nor to its own settings or any other function beyond an empty page.

Solutions attempted so far: All those i found in relevant literature including:

- Removing, reinstalling  MS Visual C Redistro 2010, 2015 and 2015-2022 (some versions caused issued upon installation but they now look all fine. 

- Refresh first and then multiple complete removal/reinstallation of different versions of Firefox (32/64, standard and beta) (including registry entries and all Folders in both programs and AppData

- MSC and Dism (MSC indicates corrupted files after each run and upon session end it says issues have been resolved. The indicates corrupted files again. MS Literature and blogs state that could be false positives and as a matter of fact the system works fine).

- Disabling ESET bears no change in behavior during installation or usage.

All other apps work perfectly, including TORBrowser.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Rick

NOTE: A few days ago i also installed the last Windows update which caused some minor issues (missed detection of fingerprint reader and nothing else), but FF was working fine till i installed ESET and then began to show a notification telling me that FF had crashed. 

NOTE 2: MSVCP140.dll is correctly present in System32 directory.

Edited by PassingBy

1 hour ago, PassingBy said:

Dear all,

As per subject, after the installation of ESET 18.0.11.0 Firefox began to refuse to start and then crash with no chances to even reinstall it. Any attempt to reinstall it produces the same error message related to MSVCP140.dll (I think something like this: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.). I had similar issues with an update of Wireshark which had to be uninstalled. Firefox installs despite the error message but it won't allow any web access, nor to its own settings or any other function beyond an empty page.

Solutions attempted so far: All those i found in relevant literature including:

- Removing, reinstalling  MS Visual C Redistro 2010, 2015 and 2015-2022 (some versions caused issued upon installation but they now look all fine. 

- Refresh first and then multiple complete removal/reinstallation of different versions of Firefox (32/64, standard and beta) (including registry entries and all Folders in both programs and AppData

- MSC and Dism (MSC indicates corrupted files after each run and upon session end it says issues have been resolved. The indicates corrupted files again. MS Literature and blogs state that could be false positives and as a matter of fact the system works fine).

- Disabling ESET bears no change in behavior during installation or usage.

All other apps work perfectly, including TORBrowser.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Rick

NOTE: A few days ago i also installed the last Windows update which caused some minor issues (missed detection of fingerprint reader and nothing else), but FF was working fine till i installed ESET and then began to show a notification telling me that FF had crashed. 

NOTE 2: MSVCP140.dll is correctly present in System32 directory.

Please dismiss this.

It seems unrelated to ESET and more related to other issues which i have solved.