Windows server crashing after installing ESET Server Security

We are installing ESET Server Security v10.0.12014.0 but so far we got a system crash on 2 / 4 Windows Server. 

The first one is a Secondary Domain Controller, a Hyper-V VM

The second one is a Physical Server with Windows Server for VEEAM. 

We are getting a system freeze as described in oldinstallation post:

To recover the functionality we had to uninstall ESET into safe mode, but we are not getting the pattern of the issue. It has been installed successfully into 2 similar servers.

All the servers had ESET Server Security v10 previously installed. I'm just making a new install to refresh the license

¿Is there any solution for this?

Thanks.

• Marcos changed the title to Windows server crashing after installing ESET Server Security
  • Administrators

First of all it is necessary to determine the root cause of the crash. Normally a dump should be created in c:\windows\memory.dmp. Does it exist on the server? Could you provide it please?

If the system becomes unresponsive and doesn't crash (BSOD), we'd need a complete memory dump generated after triggering a crash manually as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/en/kb380.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, in Windows 2022 with the v10.0.12014.0 on two virtual machine (vmware)

Eset keep restarting services like "ESET Firewall helper" and at some point the server just freeze.

I uninstalled the v10 and install the v9.

• Administrators

If you can easily reproduce the system freeze, configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb380 and manually trigger a crash and memory dump generation when the system becomes unresponsive. If it's not possible, you could try temporarily disabling Deep Behavior Inspection in the HIPS setup.

• Administrators

Please supply a complete memory dump (or at least kernel dump) from a crash so that we can analyze it as soon as possible.

I am also having this issue on multiple Server 2016 and 2019 VMs in VMWare in two different hosting environments.  Other VMs in these environments have not experienced the issue yet.  The Product versions of ESET are all 10.0.12014.0 and the Module versions are 28344.  

• Administrators

Please supply a complete memory dump (or at least kernel dump) from a crash so that we can analyze it as soon as possible.

I have had the same issue on a Windows 2016 Server in a VM running Remote Desktop Services.  ESET Services crash multiple times before the server crashes other services including the workstation and logon services, rendering the server useless until shut down and rebooted.  Logs indicate ESET services (firewall service mainly) crashed about 60 times before the server became unresponsive.

Not an ideal solution as i have (previously) had excellent reliability, but I have had to to at least temporarily put in place another AV server solution on this server until ESET comes up with a hotfix or new release.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, RAM99 said:

Logs indicate ESET services (firewall service mainly) crashed about 60 times before the server became unresponsive.

Does the issue persist with Cleaner module 2145.1 released yesterday?

On 12/6/2023 at 6:08 AM, Marcos said:

Does the issue persist with Cleaner module 2145.1 released yesterday?

Just reinstalled with lastest version, i will tell you if my servers freeze again :)

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Yasin A said:

We still have the problem, even after the module update. Windows Server 2016 with FSLogix is primarily affected.

The issue with FSLogix is being investigated currently.

P_EFSW-2653

• Administrators

You could try this:
- switch to the pre-release update channel so that HIPS module 1467.3 is downloaded
- a notification about a HIPS-related error will pop up, ignore it
- switch back to the regular update channel
- upgrade to the latest v9 version or v10.

Let us know if this worked for you.

We are currently on the latest version, 10.0.12014.0. I just switched to the pre-release channel to update the HIPS module to 1467.3. Afterward, when I switched back to the regular channel, the HIPS module reverted to 1466. Is that correct? I will tell  if the issue persists.

• Administrators

Yes, the module will revert to whichever is available on the regular / pre-release update channel.

Anyway, ESET Server Security v10 was not affected so you don't have to switch to the pre-release update channel and get the latest HIPS module.