Windows temp profile: user profile service failed the sign-in

IT-user

Nice to see some progress. I switched to pre-release update, refer to the screenshot. I will post an update, once the issue occurs again.

Let me know, if you need further details.

2024-01-09_eset_versions.jpg

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Could you try switching to the pre-release update channel at least some of the troublesome machines to check if the issue persists with the latest Configuration module 2099.8?

OK I've switched to pre-release channel for the affected machines. They now have Endpoint security 11.0.2032.0 & Configuration module 2099.8

I'll keep you updated when the problem occurs again

@Marcos The procmon does not prompt to save the logs after restarting and re-opening procmon again, although "Enable Boot Logging" is still enabled. The log-entries do also not contain any events older than since the procmon was re-opened. I didn't find any solution to this, do you have any idea?

I've been following this thread as I've been having this problem with a customers brand new HP PC, happend every morning on the first boot, a few days ago I found a log entries from both eset and HP wolf security indicating that they were unable to open the same user profile file because it was already open (sorry I can't remembe the file or the exact wording and now I can't find the entry).  I've removed wolf security and the user has successfully loged on in the morning for the last two days, which is the first time ever on this computer.

Thanks @pathfinder for sharing your experience. Actually I removed all the HP yesterday too and today it didn''t occur too. I will update once it occurs again.

Btw, I didn't spend much more effort into trying to log with procmon, since I also doubt it really can log the issue. So as long as @Marcos doesn't come up with a simple solution, I will not spend more effort into this.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be after something. I've noticed the following event entry for one of our users which experiences this problem:

Custom component was loaded by another process (Registry Lock). Process name: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpqkbsoftwarecompnent.inf_amd64_02c16d71fe8a4b6a\HotKeyServiceUWP.exe, PID: 6464, ProfSvc PID: 1872.
The registry file cannot be deleted from memory.
The memory for the register is not fully available. This issue may be caused by services running as a user account. Try to configure the services to start as a LocalService or NetworkService account.

(FYI: i've used google translate so this error text might not be 100% correct in English)

This HotKeyServiceUWP.exe,  references to the following UWP app: HP Programmable Key

Within the services of the pc, I've noticed the following service which was set to autostart: HP Hotkey UWP¨service.

I've disabled this service (the removal of this UWP app will probably do the same) and now I'm waiing to see if this proble does happen again.

I'm not 100% sure whether this will finally resolve the problem, but it might be a good try as most of us who are experiencing this problem are using HP laptops so probably this UWP app will also be installed on them.

• Administrators

The issue would need to be reproduced on our end but we were unable to reproduce it. Please raise a support ticket so that it's tracked in the ticketing system.

Hi all. Can someone else give it a try and raise a support ticket?
Because I had bad luck trying to do this, as you can read in my posts in the history; the support just wasted time and finally closed the ticket.
Maybe someone outside of the German-Language area should raise a support ticket, so that the ticket will hopefully not be handled by the German Support.

And regarding procmon, I didn't receive any answer from Marcos (see post of January 23 and 26).
But maybe someone else can give it a try too and log the problem with procmon during a failed login.

18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The issue would need to be reproduced on our end but we were unable to reproduce it. Please raise a support ticket so that it's tracked in the ticketing system.

See my post from earlier today: maybe try to install the UWP app 'HP Programmable Key' and see if it's reproducable

I've installed it myself and see if I'm affected by the problem myself in the coming days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 3:58 PM, IT-user said:

See my post from earlier today: maybe try to install the UWP app 'HP Programmable Key' and see if it's reproducable

I've installed it myself and see if I'm affected by the problem myself in the coming days.

FYI: this didn't had any effect on my problem. I installed the UWP on my laptop and didn't encounter login problems whereas the PC's on which I deleted this, did suffer from the login problem afterwards.

Any progress on the side of eset @Marcos?

Another update:

Yesterday I've enabled 'fast start-up' on my pc, and this morning I encountered the login problem after months without it. So maybe this might something to do with it? Could others try to disable it to see whether this affects the problem?

image.thumb.png.6330ca8f3d9ccffad7e5178b99cd4147.png

• Administrators

We've made some additional changes to the Configuration module to prevent these issues. There's no ETA for release yet, however. but it should not take long.

M_CNFENG-1880

FYI: 

With 'Fast start-up' both enabled in windows and bios, I had this problem from time to time. Now I've disabled it and so far no boot problems. So my suggestion to others with this problem is to disable this (not sure wether it's also necessary to disable it in bios, but it doesn't hurt I think)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I noticed that it started when I added the phantom account (which I did not do when I initially loaded the software). I deleted the phantom account and it stopped happening.  I added the phantom account again and the issue has started up again. 

My guess it may have to do with the anti-theft phantom feature. 

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, moniquedivarco said:

I have the same issue. I noticed that it started when I added the phantom account (which I did not do when I initially loaded the software). I deleted the phantom account and it stopped happening.  I added the phantom account again and the issue has started up again. 

My guess it may have to do with the anti-theft phantom feature. 

This is an Endpoint forum so the users posting about the issue above do not have Anti-Theft.

Update:

With fast start-up I managed to eliminate this problem on several computers. So if you still encounter this problem, try to turn this off.

image.png.23f9f6dcd94b0c5b43c536af2496bfd5.png

• 2 months later...

I've the same problem with Windows 11, HP Pro 450 brand new, everything update.

Any news on solving this problem?

• Administrators

Please raise a support ticket. We are aware of an issue on some old Windows 10 systems that are already EOL but there should be no such issues on Windows 11.